Achieving a certain metal bass tone

Linchpin

I'm trying to find out how bands like Napalm Death and Fear Factory get that brutal bass tone that just chugs and smacks along with the kick drum.

A couple of examples would be the intro to Farce and Fiction by ND, and Byte Block by FF.

I'm pretty sure they're using some overdrive. Does anyone know what they do as far as EQ and processing?

hes from up north

they dont get too much new and good material up there, what do you expect

but did you try the chorus?

what all have you tried to get the sound?

freak

I think I'm pretty close to the sound. It just took some fiddling with chorus overdrive and an extra 7 band EQ. Thanks for the advice.

Not the one i'm looking for, but Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just post here. =)

I'm looking for that bass sound in the begining of Pantera's "The Art of Shredding"

To work with, we have a Hartke 3500 head and a Hartke 2200 Pro series cab.... any sugestions?

Bass Freak said:
hes from up north they dont get too much new and good material up there, what do you expect

ahaha
people up north can get as much stuff as below, maybe more.
But I agree stuff like ND and FF are from USA, so, it's pretty limited...

Everytime I go to my local igloo store, the indian clerk always have some good norwegian black metal albums that I can listen to in my teepee ... ;-)

Ahhh....A good metal bass sound. There are several ways, and chorusing is only a small part of it. I'll reference the FF sound here 'cause I am more familiar with them than Napalm Death.

First, you need to know how the bass you are trying to emulate is tuned. FF tunes WAY low. Low "A" I think. That totally changes all potential settings you may use for standard tunings. You will have WAY more low end and mid range just from your tuning, so keep that in mind. You will also have a less "precise" sound that you will need to compensate for in your actual playing tecnique....

Second, the bass itself has a great tone and the signal is HEAVILY processed. WAY more than just overdrive is going on there. You've got a shit load of compression, very elaborate eq, some very well done stereo tracking, chorus, reverb, delay, AND top shelf gear that would cost you and I a shit load of $$.

The biggest thing they have going on that you can work with is the bass signal (to my ears) is split, and only the upper frequencies are distorted. The lower frequencies seem to not have any sort of overdrive at all. If you focus your efforts on that aspect of it, you will come close. Use those upper frequncies for all the effects and just tighen up the low end. The bass carries ALL the low end for FF - the drums are more for impact and presence than low end. Experimenting is key for that sound. FF really likes technology and processing, so unless you have the latest and greatest gear, all you will get is close to that sound..... :cool:

MrStitch - The Pantera bass sound, IMO, is very straight forward and simple. I'm not sure how closely you can emulate it with Hartke gear, though. Rex used Ampeg gear on that album (on all of them maybe?) and Ampeg bass gear has it's own color and "looseness" that I have not been able to find anywhere else.

I will admit that I have not spent much time trying to copy the Pantera bass sound, but it sounds to me like it is just the slightly overdriven tube sound that Ampeg has along with clean playing and a solid recording technique.

Another example of a GREAT bass sound is Carcass' Swan Song album. They also used Ampeg gear for bass. The tone they got was just crushing. No fancy tricks either.

Back