accoustic intonation

theD1CKENS

*insert clever title here
is there anything that can be done about the intonation on an accoustic guitar? the bridge and saddles don't appear to be adjustable.

the intonation really isn't too bad. it's only slightly off, but it's enough to annoy me. Joe Schmoe probably wouldn't even notice, and if there really isn't anything that can be done, no big loss. the guitar is still very playable.

If it doesn't have a compensated saddle you should try one to see if that is correction enough. If not, you can fill the slot in the bridge and cut a new slot in the correct position.

What do you mean by "intonation"? Is it "out of tune"? if so how much and where on the fingerboard? Which intervals? Is it everywhere? Is it just that you can't get the 12 fret harmonic to match the 12 fret stopped note? That in itself is not all there is to setting the intonation.

More info needed.

yea. out of tune would be a better description, I guess. mostly the G string.

the guitar can be tuned near perfect to play chords, or near perfect to play higher up on the fretboard. if it's tuned to play higher up, the chords are usually out by just a few cents. the 12th fret harmonics seem to be in unison with the fretted note, but I've just checked it by ear, so it could be off. the G string(or possibly the B) is the culprit, but there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust them without doing some more serious work that I'm not willing to tackle

it should be noted that, although the problem has been there for as long as I can remember, it wasn't nearly as bad until recently, when the strings were changed. may have used heavier strings than were initially on it.

also, it's not exactly my guitar, so I'm pretty limited on what I'm allowed to do to it

funny you mention that. that stickie is precisely why I started reading up on intonation in the first place. I even printed out the part about 'correct' tuning a few months back. still use that method

I guess the real question is "is there anything I can do to get the tuning issues back to an acceptable degree, like they were prior to changing the string guage?"

Changing string gauge shouldn't make a huge difference assuming youy only go one gauge up or down from stock. The G and B are the worst culprits usually.. Are you using a wound G?

Heavier strings can put more stress on the neck and you may need to pull the truss rod back a touch which may help a little.. If it is happening with new strings I would check that they are sound as well. Normally new strings help not hinder intonation problems.

the G string is wound. out of curiousity, how does that affect the tuning?

if it's a truss rod issue, I'm gonna call it a loss and suggest a professional.

yea. out of tune would be a better description, I guess. mostly the G string.

the guitar can be tuned near perfect to play chords, or near perfect to play higher up on the fretboard. if it's tuned to play higher up, the chords are usually out by just a few cents. the 12th fret harmonics seem to be in unison with the fretted note, but I've just checked it by ear, so it could be off. the G string(or possibly the B) is the culprit, but there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust them without doing some more serious work that I'm not willing to tackle

it should be noted that, although the problem has been there for as long as I can remember, it wasn't nearly as bad until recently, when the strings were changed. may have used heavier strings than were initially on it.

also, it's not exactly my guitar, so I'm pretty limited on what I'm allowed to do to it
If they're not out at the 12th fret tests + 'lighter strings = 'new problem, bending the strings when you play?

..70's Martin by chance? :cool:

If they're not out at the 12th fret tests + 'lighter strings = 'new problem, bending the strings when you play?

..70's Martin by chance? :cool:

if it's out at the 12th, it's very minimal. I haven't put a tuner to it yet, but it sounds pretty close to me. I restrung it with heavier strings. I don't know what was on it before. I'm guessing 10's cuz they were way too easy to fret and bend, but now it has 11's on it

it's a Yamaha. maybe late 70's or early 80's? that's just a guess tho

Back