Accoustic Electric Problem

Polska_77

Hello,

i just wipped out my Ibanez Acc-Electric, and have a problem. I dont use it much, but I just plugged it in, and the signal is very very weak. I had to crank my amp to full to hear the slightest guitar in the speaker. You guys have any ideas on what might be wrong?

It has a little 3 band equalizer on it https://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2264/img3806ti1.jpg

I have a new 9volt battery, also when i play with the jack nothing happens,and i tried 3 different cables. Any thoughts?

When I played it last time evyrything wa A Ok.

Is there a way for me to figure out what could be wrong? I don't have cash right now to take it to a shop, plus i don't play that guitar too often sooooo

The only other thing that comes to mind will require you to remove the electronics. You can then check for a loose connector. Some of them are just clip-on connectors and may become loose via various reasons. Good luck...debugging gear is always a PITA.

Bump.

Any ideas anyone? I just checked the plug that conects the pickup to the uequalizer thingy and it seems fine.

Could it be one of the sliderson the EQ?

I would try a different battery in the guitar or test the battery you have to make sure it has juice first. Stick it on your tongue for a quick test! :eek:

Does your amp work okay with other guitars?

Did it ever output loudly? Ive got an Ibanez Acoustic electic w/ a super fancy preamp/tuner, and the thing has the wimpiest output.. let me know!

Even if you changed out the old battery for a new one, there may be corrosion in the battery connector clip itself that is affecting the battery current. I do electronic repairs on lots of battery powered devices, and this is a common problem with batteries left in something for a long time-they will leak!!

You may try just replacing the old battery clip with a new one and it may solve you're troubles.

Hello Polska_77. I have a couple of ideas off the top of my head. Do you usually leave the battery installed while the guitar is kept stored in it's case? If you keep the guitar in a case it undoubtedly didn't have a jack plugged into it, but sometimes the mechanism designed to "open" the circuit between the battery and the active-electronics fails to do so upon removal of the cord/jack. A more likely cause is that you have a simple short somewhere, a cold-solder joint, or a soldered-wire connection that has a few broken strands causing an insufficient connection (high-resistance). You can visually check for broken wire-strands and any wires that appear to be "inadverdently" touching each other. Look very closely at any wires that are soldered to the case of any electronic-components, the ground-lugs located under any components, the ground-lug under the nut that secures the input jack, or to any of the ground-shielding (if present). Unfortunately, the soldering-workmanship on nearly all electric-guitars is more often than not poor to very poor. Add to that the fact that so many manufacturers will use the cheapest wire they can find. Often times this wire can be 50 to 75 years old, and is badly corroded to begin with. Soldering them into place using a little rosin-activated flux significantly adds to the corrosion. On top of that, they rarely even take the time to clean away the flux.
Also, it'd be helpful to know the exact model?--i.e. is it a piezoelectric?, or, does it have a more conventional pick-up in the sound-hole?--if yes, here, is it the original pick-up?...and what yr was the guitar made?
Let me know when you get a minute.

Thanks for the reples you guys.

I tried with a fresh battery yesterday, and still the same. When I press the battery check button the red little light lights up brightly.

The guitar used to play really loud, no problems there before. It I did have to crack the amp al lil more than for my electric, but it was just a tad. Now i have it at full and have to get on the floor and put my ear next to the speak to hear anything.

I didn't have the battery in it when i left it in the case. I had a battery leak in one of my distortion pedals so Im really careful bput that.

I'll chceck the exact model of the guitar and let you know later when I get Home.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers!!

Back