About to Buy this setup

jonathangeiger

Im on a 2.7 ghz p4. 512 ram 80 gig HD. With WIndows XP.

I'm planning on buying an Audiophile 2496 as a soundcard and a M-Audio DMP3 for a preamp.

How does this look to you guys? Is everything going to work/hook up right? Are there any better deals or anything I should buy instead?

BTW ill be using an SM57 and 58 for recording.

My budget right now is about $450-500.

new setup

Jon,

I'm a newbie as well, and recently purchase my own setup -- I looked at a lot of the same things you are now. I like your preamp and card selections. As for the mic, have you considered getting a large condensor mic for your second mic, such as a Studio Projects B1 (~$70?)? The mic is one of the most important pieces of equipment you use -- what you want completely depends on the instruments/style you record. Condensors are better for vocals in general. For info on mics, this site is great:
www.hr-faq.org
It's a compilation mic-related information posted on this message board, and makes mic purchase recommendations based on budget and use.

FYI, my setup: M-Audio Delta 1010LT sound card (preamps included), SM57 mic, Sonar multitrack software), Reason (audio generation software). I'm probably going to purchase a large condensor mic in the $200 range soon...

Good luck!

I just need something to get me going right now, Im really getting sick of my sound card/ computer mic, I think I've more than maxed out its capabilities. Im really not planning to do much with vocals as I cant sing, but I will probably end up getting some more mics in the future.

Thanks for the input.

The DMP3 ($149) and the Audiophile ($139) are exellent. IMO you will have to spend three to four times as much money to get better quality preamps and AD/DA conversion.

The prices quoted came from digitalproaudio.com

If recording acoustic guitar I suggest you pick up a condenser mic (or a pair) like the Marshall MXL 603s or the Oktava MC012. they run about $75 apiece, sometimes cheaper.

I'll still a novice but I'll chime in. My advice is to get a Behringer UB802 mixer instead of the pre. The reason is, it's really nice to have a mixer! And the DMP3 is $150 compared to $50 for the mixer. The DMP3 is definately a better quality pre than the ones on the mixer (or so I've heard,) but I'm not sure the difference you'll notice will outweigh the price difference and increased functionality you'll get with a mixer. Just my 2c tho....

That behringer looks very nice. Would you suggest the 802 or the 1002? The 1002 is only 10 bucks more....Oooh the 1202 is only 30 bucks more and it has 2 more inputs.... =)

Now I'm going to get a condenser mic also...

Thanks for the tips.

I'd opt for the one with more channels if you think you'll need them. In my case, I only needed 4 channels so got the 802. The nice thing is, you can setup your channels and leave them w/o having to tweak them every time. For instance, when recording electric I use channel 1 and acuoustic I use channel 2. That way you dont screw up your settings if you change instruments or whatever. Keep in mind that even though it has 4 channels, it only has TWO pres, at least on the 802.

SPINSTERWUN said:
I would suggest that you not buy the Behringer.

True, there are better mixers but for the money, and if you're on a budget, it's a great bargain. My main point was just that a mixer can be a lot more usefull than a high quality pre for a beginner's setup. Anyway, good luck!

Back