about these bluesky's

zallen25

Im looking at the specs of the SAT 6.5 or system one they call it and I don't see how these could be compared to the HR 824's or Genelecs or any monitor of the sort.

from what i see they look good better than most, but these monitors "alone" will not survive. We have a 6 1/2" woofer to start with......(natural physics will only allow that much surface area to produce so much low end) so in other words this would explain the almost non existing bass responce (from the monitors).

These speakers must have the sub to perform below their 80Hz cutoff, now if im not mistaken.........thats like having a thumb war with some one and doing tag team (u use your pointy, finger for the layman :P)

The HR824's have the +/- 1.5 db from 39Hz all the way to 20kHz with no sub help! Thats saying quite a lot from just 2 monitors. Yes a sub would kick ass with any pair of monitors but hey.........look what mackie did.....(actually mackie did not make these speakers, a special team of top engineers from other high end monitor manufactures joined forces to make these, mackie just spent the money to put their name on them). Im sure there are other monitors that will do what the HR824's do as well.

frequence response of the sky's are as follows:

+/- 3.0 db from 80-200kHz ..........this source is str8 from the web site they have.

Now.......yes they might sound good .......and im sure they do, but just by looking at the spec difference and the added help of the sub that they rely on I don't see how these bluesky system one package could be equaly compared to the HR824's or anyother monitor like them.

Stay in the same family.......does any one know where to get the price for this system?? I can't find it on their site unless they didn't post that.

Zallen,
Any Recs. on a good sub for say a pair of powered york ysm1s. something in the proce range not higher than the cost of a pair of 824s?

I just loved my yorks,,, but I wished they had the lows of the 824s

thanks

Malcolm

well a thing about the blue skys vs mackie and some others...
the blue skys come with the sub because they don't want to distort the monitors with sub bass.. thats what a sub is for ;)
the mackies sound like ass at high volumes with a song that has a decent amount of bass... its trying to produce a clean clear vocal with at the same time low bass that doesn't mix..

with the mackies, last week i had a mackie 15inch sub at my partners studio and he had his hr824's terned to 37hz which is normal... we did a mix and put it on a cd to play it in my truck.. sounded great.. but we did another mix and terned the hr824's to low cut which is 80hz.. and the mix came out much better.. you don't need sub bass from near fields...

that last mix made me appreciate the mackie hr824's, i've never really liked them that much but that mix changed me.. the blue skys.. i have a friend that has thr 2.1's.. with the sub off we played some songs that are really bass heavy.. my stuff down to Lil jon(i don't give a f*ck) the 6.5's have a good bass responce actually...but with the blue skys..the sub helps get a perfect mix...
the main combos i always end up working on are:
Hafler trm8.1's with a trm12.1 subwoofer
Mackie hr824's with hrs150 subwoofer
Blue sky 2.1's
krk V88 with S12 subwoofer...
out of these i NOW will pick the Mackies the best(if the monitors are on low cut).. then the blue sky's then the haflers.
now if blue skys comes out with a 8inch monitor in a 2.1 setup.. watch out..

Last edited:
About these blue sky's

First post here, so I hope I am not out of line, but I thought I would clarify the benefits of our system.

First, our Sky System One, like all of our systems, is a 2.1 System. The SAT 6.5 is not designed to go below 80Hz, because it is designed to be used with the SUB 12, 100% of the time. Think of it as a 3-way* system design, but with the LF source in a separate box (a subwoofer). However the subwoofer is not an "add-on", it is an integral part of the system that can be placed for the best bass response in your room. This also allows the SATs to be smaller, which can then be more easily placed for the best imaging and coverage. The retail price of Sky System One (2 SAT 6.5s and one SUB 12) is comparable to the Mackie's ($1695.00 Retail).

*Sky System One™ 3-way x-over freq. 20Hz - 80Hz (SUB),
80Hz - 1.5kHz (MF), 1.5kHz - 20kHz+ (HF)

You greatly misstate the benefits of our system, when you look at just the SAT. It is like saying a Genelec 1037, is not full-range when you take the 12" woofer out of the cabinet.

For more information visit our website, check out the reviews and user stories, or feel free to contact me directly.

I hope this post wasn't out of line...

Re: About these blue sky's

BlueSky said:
First post here, so I hope I am not out of line, but I thought I would clarify the benefits of our system.

First, our Sky System One, like all of our systems, is a 2.1 System. The SAT 6.5 is not designed to go below 80Hz, because it is designed to be used with the SUB 12, 100% of the time. Think of it as a 3-way* system design, but with the LF source in a separate box (a subwoofer). However the subwoofer is not an "add-on", it is an integral part of the system that can be placed for the best bass response in your room. This also allows the SATs to be smaller, which can then be more easily placed for the best imaging and coverage. The retail price of Sky System One (2 SAT 6.5s and one SUB 12) is comparable to the Mackie's ($1695.00 Retail).

*Sky System One™ 3-way x-over freq. 20Hz - 80Hz (SUB),
80Hz - 1.5kHz (MF), 1.5kHz - 20kHz+ (HF)

You greatly misstate the benefits of our system, when you look at just the SAT. It is like saying a Genelec 1037, is not full-range when you take the 12" woofer out of the cabinet.

For more information visit our website, check out the reviews and user stories, or feel free to contact me directly.

I hope this post wasn't out of line...

Welcome,, Semi Newbie myself,
But,, No,, to me you are not out of line. As a matter of fact,, I will go to your website and take a look at the systems. When you stated that if you remove the sub the other two are alone the line of a pair of Genelec 1037,,, You Got My attention.

Welcome Again

And keep visiting,,, Im sure you will get more questions,, I know from me you will.

Malcolm

System One

Hey guys!

I currently own Event 20/20bas. I'm planning to buy some new monitors soon cuz... well, 2020 sux a bit. I used them for 5 years, I learned a lot with these but, now I need some better monitors.

Today, I went to my local store, in Montreal, I brought some of my favorites CDs, and listen to them in a few monitors. System One are really impressive! I A/B them with Genelecs, Events, Yamahas, Mackies...and...I was very impressed by the Blue Sky. Clarity, precision, fidelity, tight bass freq, etc!! I heard new stuff on some CDs I've been using as reference for 5-6 years! (I heard a lot of new stuff I 've never heard before on Transmission - Tea Party - I was impressed cuz...I cant tell how many time I've listen this CD!

about the sub, you just have to close your eyes, and you'll see it doesn't "sound" like a sub. It true, it sounds like a 3 way system with good woofers :)

SO, I still have a few monitors to hear but, I'm sure I'll end up with the System one 2.1. ....and, eventually 3 more SAT for a complete setup hehe

how much are people getting this 2.1 system for anyways, im curious due to the only add i have seen was like 999.99 so far.

The way I see subs on nearfields: Mix with nearfields and check for problems with your lows engaging the sub. My experience is that if the mix sounds boomy with the sub on you got to redo some things, if the sub doesn't add boomieness but a little punch then your mix is right.

My 2 €-cents

Herwig

zallen25 said:
how much are people getting this 2.1 system for anyways, im curious due to the only add i have seen was like 999.99 so far.
the 2.1's are around 1300-1400.. were did you see them for 999???

Re: System One

Kryogh said:
here there are 2500$ CAD

is about 1700$ USD :(

looks like there are expensive here!

Just as an FYI, here is the US MSRP for Blue Sky... Street prices vary slightly and international pricing varies due to transportation costs, importation duties and VAT...

Sky System One - 2.1 System - MSRP $1695.00
Sky System One - 5.1 System - MSRP $3995.00 (includes BMC)

ProDesk - 2.1 System - MSRP $1195.00
ProDesk - 5.1 System - MSRP $3045.00 (includes BMC)

BMC (5.1 bass-management controller) - MSRP $725

Hope that helps...

c9-2001 said:
the 2.1's are around 1300-1400.. were did you see them for 999???

I did see a price for 999.99, but i forgot that there are two similar systems, pro desk and the 12" set. Anyways whatever one it was I think i saw it in like a MIX magazine or something like that.......and I could swear that it was B&H doing it for that, I will find out at work today and let ya'll know. It's a possibility that I was drunk at the time hahahah jk.

where would you put the subwoofer at? to create a stereo image.

sometimes i would want to pan bass to left or right at different parts of song or kick drum. But how can i tell with everything below 80 is going out of the subwoofer.

toadies said:
sometimes i would want to pan bass to left or right at different parts of song or kick drum. But how can i tell with everything below 80 is going out of the subwoofer.

If a bass or kick drum would only contain frequencies below 80Hz, 99,9% of home systems wouldn't be able to reproduce them...
Their signal contains a lot of harmonic information.

That plus the fact that a sub is only needed to reveal *problems* in your lower end of the frequency spectrum, not to *mix* on.

Herwig

toadies said:
where would you put the subwoofer at? to create a stereo image.

Stereo imaging is absolutely not affected by subwoofer placement (however efficiency and frequency response can be affected).

Human directional acuity is very low below 150Hz and non existent at 80Hz. This is because the wavelengths are much longer than the distance between your ears. As an example, a 150Hz wavelength is over 7.5 feet in length and an 80Hz wavelength is over 14 feet in length. Because the SAT goes down to 80Hz, all of your imaging related program material will be coming from the SATs. The transient and harmonic information from a kick-drum, that will show where it is panned, will come from the SATs, the remaining impact and LF transients will come from the SUB. Your ear will not notice, because it is not capable of triangulating the source (unless your head is 14 feet wide).

Now, this does not mean a subwoofer can't be located. For example we use a sealed subwoofer design, because ported designs have port noise (well above 150Hz) that will reveal their location and a sealed subwoofer does not have this problem. Additionally, if things are audibly vibrating around or near the subwoofer, the subwoofers' location can be determined.

Hope this helps explain...

Last edited:
c9-2001 said:
and you say this why???

As Blue Sky so ably explained, it's the upper harmonic information that gives us the clues to the directionality of bass and kick tracks, not the stuff below 80 hz. There's a ton of harmonic information above the fundamental, and on smaller speakers that's actually most of what you are hearing.

sub / panning

Thx BlueSky. You confirm what I tought, and I'll probabely buy the System One tomorrow. I just sold my 20/20bas, I canlled my tomorrow's mix session to get back to the store and buy new monitors. I'm 95% sure to get a System One 2.1

Back