About the new AA vesion CS 5.5

RawDepth

I understand that this new version (Adobe Audition CS 5.5) was a complete redesign from the ground up. As a result, in their rush to meet the release date deadline, they were forced to forgo some features because there simply was not enough time to implement and test everything within the new software engine. Useful features such as CD burning, automated faders, and certain effects are suddenly missing. The new version appears to be somewhat stripped down and many customers seem to be offended by that.

They are still working to add functionality back into the new software. I would expect either an update or a new version soon with more of those old "familiar" features that everyone is screaming about.

Give the poor design guys a break. Have a little patience. It will eventually evolve back into a robust and stable package that is way better than the older versions, (1.5, 2.0, and 3.0) when it comes to running on newer operating systems.

The developers have been open and honest about why things ended up as they are and where things will go from here over on the Adobe forums. Have a look at Durin's posts at the top of THIS THREAD.

Durin also drops some very strong hints about what may be included in the next version in posts 40 and 41 in THIS THREAD. You don't have to go very far between the lines to work out what "I'm not at liberty to say that...." actually means!

(You may need to register to read the forums--I can't remember for sure--but if you do it's free and quick.)

Thanks, Bobbsy.

For those of you who are unable or unwilling to read the posts that Bobbsy has linked to, here are a few cliff notes.

- When Adobe purchased CEP from Syntrillium years ago, it was mainly to provide an audio editing solution to their video and broadcast production users. It was not necessarily aimed at recording studios, however, they wanted those users to be able to use it as well.
- Each of the older versions of Audition (1.5, 2.0, and 3.0) were stand-alone solutions that never really "fit into" the CS video production suite very well. The re-write is now aimed at getting the software more in tune and on-course with the CS suite. (However, it can still be purchased separately.)
- They prioritize each feature within the software based on the frequency of customer requests. They have also been basing their development schedule on that same priority list.
- They refuse to release any new feature until it lives up to the usual high quality standards that Adobe demands.
- The development team is not at liberty to reveal what new features are coming next because it would spoil the strategies and efforts of the marketing and sales teams.
- The development team has committed to releasing a new major version approximately every 24 months with additional mid-cycle releases.
- The new software engine is now available for Apple OS X as well as Windows and supports VST in both platforms.
- The new software engine is designed to take advantage of multi-core and multi-thread CPU's.
- Plug-in Effects are finally able to make full use of multi-core and multi-thread CPU's.
- You can still buy this new version for $99 if you own any of the previous versions.

(I am not a part of Adobe. I am simply a user and repeating what I have read and heard at various places.)

Last edited:
Back