About the gain

If the gain is to high.Can it make your vocals louder then the rest of the track.Please help me.:o

huh?
If the gain is too high on anything, it will clip/distort... or blow your ears out... or loosen the nails in your walls... or get you arrested.

Can you explain your situation in more detail?

If the gain is to high.Can it make your vocals louder then the rest of the track.Please help me.:o
as bunt said, we need more detail. Your question as posted doesn't really mean anything that anyone could give an answer to.

about gain

Well we myself and afriend recorded some vocals and on play back the vocals sounded louder then the rest of the track in we chop it up to the gain being a little high because the gain was cranked kind of high.No need to treat people like their stupid some of us are new to home recording.:mad:

Well we myself and afriend recorded some vocals and on play back the vocals sounded louder then the rest of the track in we chop it up to the gain being a little high because the gain was cranked kind of high.No need to treat people like their stupid some of us are new to home recording.:mad:

Believe me dawg no one here was treating you wrongly they were merely trying to get a scope of how you got to where you are in your recording endeavor. For it is a little hard to analyze your problem with the facts that you gave.....we're not all Sherlock Holmes here at HR with vast powers of deduction.

sounds as if your other tracks may have poor microphone placement and if there were no other tracks that used a microphone and was say like electric beats or midi they may have not been recorded as high.
If the vocal tracks were truly recorded to high and you can see that on your meters then turn them down to match your other tracks for you defiantly want some over head with all of your tracks.

:cool:

nobody treated you like you were stupid or said anything insulting to you at all. We simply said that you didn't give us enough info to be able to answer your question and you still haven't.

Gain is strictly for controlling the input levels.

No, gain in and of itself will not make your vocals louder than the other tracks.

If the vocals are too loud it's because you mixed them too loud or for other reasons but, once again, you've given us no information to really be able to answer your question.
We need to know more about your recording process ..... what's your signal path and how was this recording set up.

And if it's gonna make you mad for people to try and get enough information to be able to help, no one's gonna want to help because you'll make that impossible and unpleasant.
So calm down and tell us enough so that we can help.

nobody treated you like you were stupid or said anything insulting to you at all. We simply said that you didn't give us enough info to be able to answer your question and you still haven't.

Gain is strictly for controlling the input levels.

No, gain in and of itself will not make your vocals louder than the other tracks.

If the vocals are too loud it's because you mixed them too loud or for other reasons but, once again, you've given us no information to really be able to answer your question.
We need to know more about your recording process ..... what's your signal path and how was this recording set up.

And if it's gonna make you mad for people to try and get enough information to be able to help, no one's gonna want to help because you'll make that impossible and unpleasant.
So calm down and tell us enough so that we can help.

Elementary my dear Lt., elementary :rolleyes:

:cool:

Gotta love newbs when they're all spunky and eveything.... :D

As long as you didn't distort/clip your vocals with too much gain....
...adjust your levels in the DAW so that they are NOT louder than the other tracks.

Your levels will never automatically sound the same from track to track...so YES...if you track the vocals louder than everything else...they WILL sound louder. It's up to you to adjust levels when recording to keep things in the same ballpark...and then when mixing, that's when you fine-tune the individual track levels.

We're here to help... :)

When you record something, along the way you will need to adjust three levels:

1. record level (mic gain)
2. monitor level (how loud you make something in your headphones while you are recording it)
3. mix level (how loud something is in the mix)

All of those things are adjusted (mostly) independently of each other.

What you need to do is:

1. adjust the preamp gain so that the recording level is what you need it to be. Averaging around -18dbfs on the software meters (about half way up the meter) is a good safe level.

2. adjust the level of that instrument/voice in your headphones so you can hear yourself while you are performing. This is normally done at the interface. You will need to look up 'monitoring' in the manual to find out how to do it with your interface. (we don't know what interface you have)

3. adjust the volume of that instrument/voice in the mix once it is recorded. This is done with some sort of software mixer in your DAW.

These are all independent things. Turning up the mic preamp gain because you can't hear yourself very well in the headphones will screw up your recording levels. You need to turn up your monitoring volume (or turn down the mix of everything else)

It's easy to get confused because there are several ways of changing the volume of what you hear. You have to know where you are in the signal chain and which volume/gain/trim control is the appropriate on to adjust for what you are trying to accomplish.

I apologize

i apologize for sounding snippy.I've been treated pretty bad on the these forums on other sites so i have my guard up.But I do appreciate all of your inputs and i will take in to consideration all of your advice.But my interface is a Zoom R16 with cubase 5.:o

i apologize for sounding snippy.I've been treated pretty bad on the these forums on other sites so i have my guard up.But I do appreciate all of your inputs and i will take in to consideration all of your advice.But my interface is a Zoom R16 with cubase 5.:o
Hey, even in the anonymity of cyberspace, it takes a big person to apologize and you've certainly gained my respect for doing so.
It does help those that are trying to help if you can be as clear as possible and try to include as much information as possible. We know that English isn't everybody's first language and even for those that it is, written English isn't always simple and straightforward. So that's not a problem. There are some people on any site with real "attitude" but for the most part, even if sometimes there's in jokes or a bit of sarcasm, people that frequent this forum want to help.
Hey, and whatever happens, keep learning and having fun.

Let me echo grims' comment ...... very cool of you to see that you might have been a little snippy. That gets you some pos rep!

Welcome to the board ...... folks around here will be able to give you all the help you need.

Sounds like the mix is your problem. Gain is a relative term that simply means, in this instance, allowing more of a signal into your recording path. After you've recorded your tracks,you can control the volume of the tracks as you mix them...pulling down the volume/gain on a track that seems louder. I have an R16 as well. Pretty cool little interface.:cool: Farview pretty much nailed it.

Back