About surround mixing

RousseauBABA

hey guys, im a newbie in this section. ive never done any surround things in my life. i just found some surround plugins. but im not really sure how should i use em. and how much the source effects, i mean if the source is mono/stereo. and i dun have a surround speaker in my studio, all i can do is mix it down to a cd and listen to it in my hifi. any kind of suggestion regarding this matter will be appreciated.

Um.....what exactly are you asking? You found some surround effects and want to know what you can do with them with no surround sytem or surround mixing capabilities? Not much. Are they psuedo surround effects, or real multi-channel surround effects? If the latter, you need both the software and hardware to host and to monitor them before they're of any use.

Regards,
RD

Robert D said:
Um.....what exactly are you asking? You found some surround effects and want to know what you can do with them with no surround sytem or surround mixing capabilities? Not much. Are they psuedo surround effects, or real multi-channel surround effects? If the latter, you need both the software and hardware to host and to monitor them before they're of any use.

Regards,
RD

yeah..thats wat i really wanted to know. i dun think its a multi channel surround effect, cuz theres no options for channels, and i have no clue bout psuedo :p , the one ive got ,it came with cakewalk sonar 3 in the sonitus effect suite.

Rousseau,

Imagine you have a plug in that says it will "do stereo" for you, but you have only one speaker, a mono amplifier and perhaps even no pan control. Will that plug in allow you to do stereo mixing? Nope. At least not in any meaningful way.

It's the same thing with surround if you have only stereo-based gear. If you don't have a surround monitor setup and the ability to pan in surround and not just in left/right, you're not gonna be able to do it right.

G.

Some plugins can divide up the stereo field for a simulated surround effect, much like the Stereo-izer plugins you find for Mono tracks.

Then of course there are methods like Dolby Logic Pro II, etc., that use two channels and divide into 5.1.

That's about all I know, sorry. I just know they exist. I don't really know how they work. It has something to do with where frequencies are placed in the mix. If you listen to a Dolby Logic mix in headphones, it will sound in stereo, but it sounds odd. Things are hard panned that normally wouldn't be. I guess it plays with phasing and so on to squeese all that audio into two channels.

Back