About MP3

Miseria_Cantare

Can anyone tell the difference between a 192kbps 44khz MP3 (encoded with a good encoder), and a wav?
I was just wondering, because I can't. 128, yes, but 192 seems to be just as good as CD's.

I was thinking of ripping all of my CD's, I chose MP3 over the better formats because it's compatible with every MP3 player.
But now I'm just wondering what bitrate to do this at, without taking up too much space.

Miseria_Cantare said:
Can anyone tell the difference between a 192kbps 44khz MP3 (encoded with a good encoder), and a wav?
I was just wondering, because I can't. 128, yes, but 192 seems to be just as good as CD's.

I was thinking of ripping all of my CD's, I chose MP3 over the better formats because it's compatible with every MP3 player.
But now I'm just wondering what bitrate to do this at, without taking up too much space.
I ripped all my cd's to harddrive, and used 192K for most of tehm. I had a few I did in 128, and tehy sound ok, but some have that warble in them. I think for pc, and car listening, or on an Ipod or simila device, 192 will sound just fine. The file might be missing some sounds, but it should be negligable for most casual listening.

Ass you do more and more recording and listening to wav files, your ears become more trained and can here the differences. I usually encode at 256kbps because at 192 I can still here a significant difference. For me it seems to be mostly in the higher frequencies (ie. cymbals).

I agree with cawhite. Although I can hear a difference even on 256. But it is definitely better than 128 and/or 192.

If you're ears are trained enough, find one of your best-sounding CDs... one that you by heart... and convert it to an MP3... or at least some of the more delicate passages... at 192 and listen again.

I've done this with several Peter Gabriel, Sting & Dave Matthews and I can certainly tell.

But, 256, as stated above, is safer if your archiving for quality.

Hope this helps!

C

ChadAustin said:
If you're ears are trained enough, find one of your best-sounding CDs... one that you by heart... and convert it to an MP3... or at least some of the more delicate passages... at 192 and listen again.

That's exactly what I did, then arrived at 256 as the best space:quality ratio. Sure the highest would be ideal, hell... wave files would be ideal, but the space that it takes up is huge, so I can stand to listen to stuff at 256, so that's where I encode at. Good advice ChadAustin.

Back