About Monitors

Riegs

I'm just getting into the home-recording scene and have a few questions regarding monitors.

I'm sure at one point when I really get serious with this I'll want to use some 4-point surround-sound effects sparingly for added depth in my recording.

Do any of you have two monitors in back of you, along with the two in front for mixing purposes? Or can this be achieved with some pro headphones?

Also I'm curious about the difference between 2 monitors, and a set of 2 expensive multimedia speakers. Monitors are, in effect just high-quality speakers right? Could these be used on my pc for games, audio cd's and the like?

Excuse the idiocy. :)

A 4 speaker mix?. Although I cant see into the future,
I think that 2 speaker mixs are still going to be the majority in the next 4-5 years ( most people have 2 at home ).
Although this might change fast I wouldn't spend the money just yet.

Monitors ( try ) to give a accurate sound so that what you hear is reliable. They can be used for anything you want.

I'm not sure what kind of quality expensive mulimedia monitors give but I doubt you can compare them to a good set of near field studio monitors.

Yes basically I'm wondering if it's critical to have 4-monitors positioned for surround sound when you're working specifically with discrete channels of audio (say one part of the song where you want an effect coming from the rear-left only, panning around the 4 speakers) etc. :)

This is bringing back memories of my old quad/stereo sound system. There wasn't many quad albums recorded back in those days, but when you listened to Jimi Hendrix or The Who in quad, well... it was quite an experience.
Especially with a lava lamp, black-light posters, and something to alter your state of mind. Ahhhhhhh.... sweet memories ;)

OK here you go....No, 4 monitors are not required but 5 are. The current format of surround sound is Dolby surround 5.0 and it requires 5 speakers (4 placed around you LF RL LR RR and one subwoofer directly behind you) I would recomend contacting Dolby. They will be able to give you a rundown on what you need to mix in surround.

Back