about midi in n-track!

dark_iscariot

I have a midi synth and I want to use it in n-track. How can I make so I hear when I play on the synth in n-track? I can record midi sound but I only hear it when I record!
Thanks for any thoughts!

What do you mean? Is the synth virtual or real?

If it's a real synth then you can't just hook it up to your computer via MIDI and expect to hear anything. MIDI does't make any sound. You'll need an analog out to your soundcard.

If you're playing a VSTi or DXi, you should be able to just create a new MIDI track that routes through it, then arm the track for recording.

If the synth is some other program running on your PC, then you might be SOL. If the synth is the one in your soundcard, then I'm not sure...depending on the soundcard's capabilities you might be SOL.

Slackmaster 2000

Hmmm...you're confusing me, sorry :)

A "synth" is something that generates sound. A MIDI keyboard is something that can either control a synth or a sampler or similar device. Often times synths are built into keyboards, they're usually built into soundcards, and many software programs come with "virtual synths" (or software synths).

When you play the synth in cubase, what exactly are you talking about? Playing a VSTi with your keyboard?

SOL = Sh*t Outta Luck :)

Slackmaster 2000

hehe, well what is VSTi ? Vst instrument, how do they work? Can one use wave samples as well?

I ment to say midi keyboard, for that it is. All I want is to be able to hear what I play in n-track without recording it.

Ok I think my lightbulb just lit up! Are you saying that you can't hear your keyboard unless you're recording!?

Slackmaster 2000

I gotcha! Have you tried turning on live input processing by hitting the Live button? I doubt that will work though and I don't have n-Track in front of me right now. Have you also taken a look at your MIDI settings in n-Track? How about adding a new MIDI track and arming it for recording, but not actually recording? Or if you already have a MIDI track armed for recording but don't want to record, try disarming it.

A "controller keyboard" is a keyboard that is basically just a MIDI controller and does not have a built-in synth. I need to pick up a good controller one of these years...when money starts growing on trees and stuff..

Slackmaster 2000

Ok, try this...

Add the VSTi to your project and name it (to name the instrument, . Now go into File->Preferences and click the MIDI Settings tab, then click the MIDI devices button.

In the MIDI Devices window make sure your MIDI Input port is correctly specified. Then you should see a group of buttons labeled "Input to output echo", switch this to "Manual" which should enable the "Manual mapping" settings.

In the "Manual Mapping" settings, change "outp. port" from your normal or default MIDI output port to "Instrument plug-in - Cheese Machine" (if you're playing the cheese machine, for instance).

I can't confirm it, but I'm betting it'll work for you.

Slackmaster 2000

Back