about AMD

Riku

Hello again

Few of you maybe already know that I'm buying a computer. I have bothered your heads with my moron questions and I think I have driving my friend, the local computer dealer grazy. Is that normal in here? This is something I was planing to buy with a Terratec EWX 24/96 audiosystem soundcard.

-Motherboard: Abit KT7 1090,-
-Processor: Duron 800 Mhz + cooler 690,-
-RAM: 256 Mt,133 Mhz,SDRAM 590,-
-HDD: IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40 GB UDMA/100 7200rpm IDE 1400,-
-Videocard: Geforce2 MX 32 MB AGP TV-out 890,-
-Soundcard: Soundblaster 128 PCI 190,- (for gaming)
-17" Samsung/Philips 1690,-
-CD-RW: Samsung 8x/4x/32x IDE 900,-
-CD-drive: Samsung 48X IDE 300,-

the prices are in FIM...

Someone here said there could be trouble between the motherboard and the Terratec. So I dropped my set up to Terratec support and the answer was this:

"Hello!

The only thing you should be aware of is the KT-133 chipset
from VIA-technologies. This chipset is buggy and leads to
crackle in the audio-material.

You can find more information here:

http://www.via-cyrix.de/viaboardlist.html

The rest of the hardware will work fine with the card."

So F*ck. My computer dealer said that every AMD motherboard that he knows uses that chipset... So should I invest more money and buy a pentium or is this problem only between AMD(chipset) and Terratec...(should I try different soundcard?) AMD users any experiences??? please I need help

Thank you, all of you. You have been a great help in this adventure that they call The Building of The Home Studio

I'm cracking....

So question lies in here...

To users who are using the VIA chipset (KT-133a) and are satisfied. What kind of souncard are using????

Skip the Duron and go with the Athlon thunderbird. Its only a few more bux. If its too much more for your wallet, get a 700mhz Athlon instead. Regardless, get the T-bird. Right now you can have a 1ghz Athlon for like $120. www.pricewatch.com

I'm afraid my rig is a bit outdated, PIII 533 chip, ASUS P3V4X motherboard, VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset, Gadget Labs Wave 824 sound card. No problems.

I've been skeptical of claims that VIA chipsets are substandard, so I jumped to the site you posted hoping to read something informative. However I don't read German, so I'm out of luck unless someone wishes to translate.

Back