Aark Direct Pro

MM2

I'm frustrated that I haven't seen any reviews for this product, since I'm very interested in mixer-less solutions for PC recording. Is anyone using this? and if so, would you mind giving a short, objective review (ie, more detail than "I have it and I love it.") Are the preamps really that great? How is the compressor and EQ? Any problems installing? Sound quality overall and ease of use?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I have been using the Direct Pro for about 3 or 4 months now. The typical comment I get from people who hear my work are "Wow...it's so clear!" I am currently working on an acoustic rock project with MIDI drums and bass.

It works great! I do not use the EQ, Reverb, or Compressor on the DSP chip. I don't like the quality or lack of quality on those.

About the only trouble I've had is the occasional loss of playback...20% of the time I use it. A reboot fixes the problem. Has something to do with the PCI interface and maintaining a high quality, consistent connection. That's all I know!

You won't go wrong with this purchase. I am glad I don't have a mixer taking up desk space!

I'm thinking of getting a Direct Pro as we speak. One thing I'm confused about is whether I will also need additional software or whether the stuff that comes bundled with it will be sufficient. What do you think?

My past experience with stuff bundled with anything is that it is never sufficient. But that also depends on what you want to do. It has directX so you'll be able to run tons of plugins. If you search on the internet you might find other programs you like better.

I read a review , and one thing that stuck out was that it was being compared to a dat machine, where it's quality was a little bit better than the dat's.

Now, they compared a delta 1010 to the same dat machine, in a different article and it was like there was no comparison at all.

I firmly believe that there are many better cards out there in the same price range.

I just saw a wami thing in elec musician with: 4 midi in/4midi out , 4 mic pres, 8 outs/ smpte, adat i/o, s/pdif i/o and samplitude software and gigasampler etc for under $800. at 24/96

It lookes pretty good, with led indicators at all, but I have not bothered to check for reviews because I just got a delta 1010 which I believe is the bomb at a price of 699.98 from marsmusic with Vegas Pro, and cd mastering software and also an fx package.

Granted, the MOtu 24i sounds a tiny little bit flatter, but no midi and spdif, at $2200 is a no no for me anyhow.

If I were to do it all over again, I might get a toolbox xp (for the protools,) and a dbx 386 and just go direct from preamp to spdif . I only use a keyboard and mic though

the motu 24i is actually $1200, my bad

And its "wami" .that's the name of the product.

but I just read that the aadvark uses akm converters. THe Delat 1010 also uses AKM converters.

Maybe he just tested a bad one. I think it was on prorec.com
where the review was

athlon cpu problem

I just purchased my directpro 24/96 two days ago...
Since then I've been having the toughest time getting
everything to work. After trying everthing in the book,
I went on over to the aardvark-pro.com page and found out
that since the 24/96 has a Motorola DSP, it won't work
with my Ahtlon CPU computer...GOOD LORD!!!!

anywho...if you have a Pentium, you're golden.

I'm thinking of going with the digi001 now.

Before you go any futher with the 001 you better check out the 001 System requirements.
Go to digidesign.com

[Edited by Shailat on 08-13-2000 at 14:34]

Happy with the card

Hey Guys,
I bought a Aark 24/96 card in May, and then bought a second hand computer/audio/midi system in June with one installed (from Phil Shoenthal on this BBS here, you can find his threads via search function). The only bugs I had related to not having updated drivers for N-tracks, the recording software I use with it.
It's fairly basic, I find the interface quite straitforward once I'd figured it out. I don't use the onboard EQ, Rvrb, etc, on the Aark, since i found th quality of the FX plug-ins that came with N-tracks (and Cakewalk) work well. However, I'm not an expert in this area so...
Don't know the Digi card so can't compare..

If anyone wants to buy an never installed 24/96....got an extra one. I'd prefer to do it North of the 49th parallel, so to avoid the copmlications of across border-transfers. I'm in Montreal, email is ricklaroche@hotmail.com

Basically I'm happy with it but haven't used it to it's full potential.

Rick (aka Fenderbender)

Happy with the card

Hey Guys,
I bought a Aark 24/96 card in May, and then bought a second hand computer/audio/midi system in June with one installed (from Phil Shoenthal on this BBS here, you can find his threads via search function). The only bugs I had related to not having updated drivers for N-tracks, the recording software I use with it.
It's fairly basic, I find the interface quite straitforward once I'd figured it out. I don't use the onboard EQ, Rvrb, etc, on the Aark, since i found th quality of the FX plug-ins that came with N-tracks (and Cakewalk) work well. However, I'm not an expert in this area so...
Don't know the Digi card so can't compare..

If anyone wants to buy an never installed 24/96....got an extra one. I'd prefer to do it North of the 49th parallel, so to avoid the copmlications of across border-transfers. I'm in Montreal, email is ricklaroche@hotmail.com

Basically I'm happy with it but haven't used it to it's full potential.

Rick (aka Fenderbender)

Ps to U slim: if you want more details, e-mail me with prticulars, I'll let you know

Direct Pro

I've owned the Direct Pro for 3 months and am overall pleased with it. I don't always record the effects , but it is helpful to use them for the monitor mix.

It looks as though they are working on upgrades. I went to a freinds studio and he has a motu .. with alot of outboard gear, and i was glad to have the 24/96. Plus you can link up to 4. The Compressor is pretty weak, but hopefully they'll fix it.

lD

Back