Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96

cwillu

*** 12/23/99 - Aardvark has finally released the Direct Pro 24/96!! ***

Hey, has anybody heard anything on Aardvark's Direct Pro soundcard? Last I heard, it was supposed to be released on the 20th of november, anyone know if they made their deadline?

Thanks!

WIlliam Underwood

[This message has been edited by cwillu (edited 12-23-1999).]

They didn't make it....Or the release date after that which was the week of the 23rd. They now tell me that it will be another week or two, so I may be looking at very early December.

The missed dates are getting closer and closer together though. Maybe by 2000? If I hadn't been foolish enough to pay for the card in advance I might be recording some acoustic blues by now.....

Pay for it in advance... why does that seem familiar? Oh yes, I remember, I was foolish enough to do that as well!!

Oh, well...

Thanks

William Underwood

Reading up on the Aardvark Direct Pro and the Event Gina, I'm surprised at how much more seems to come with the Aardvark, and at not THAT great of a price increase.

Am I looking at the no-brainer deal of the century?

Or are there quality-versus-quantity issues to consider?

Thanks

Roblab: Can't say for sure. It might be a no brainer if Aardvark would get around to releasing the thing, but they haven't, so there isn't any way to check how the thing sounds.

As far as the specs are concerned, aardvark seems to be slighty better, but then, it wouldn't be the first time that the 'official' specs changed once the product was released. Wait and see, I guess

William Underwood

Thanks, all.

Please, if you can tear yourself away from your new toy, post your feelings about this card when you eventually take delivery and play with it for a while.

I'm curious to see how it measures up.

Rob

Roblab: me too!!

Well, Aardvark says they'll be shipping on december 13, hopefully it'll find it's way to my igloo by the 25 (don't even get me started on mail delays)... :)

William Underwood

Lads!!! Great news!!!

I've just contacted Aardvark and the Direct Pro will be available in 2 weeks!!!

Just think, in 2 weeks time, we will have our hands on this great card!

(what a bunch of cu**s)

Whatever happened to the Aardvard Direct, assumingly an inexpensive version of the Direct Pro? They still have it up on their website, but not much info available?

i haven't heard anything about the aardvark direct since i saw it on aardvark's site over the summer. however, i have seen a couple of adds for the direct pro in magazines.....so presumably they will ship it one day...

[This message has been edited by nero (edited 12-14-1999).]

You people that have forked over your bread on the basis of a promise by this particular manufacturer have been raked over the coals bigtime. I really hope they'll make good on their promises. On the other hand I sure hope that if they do pull this off, this method of marketing doesn't become the norm in this field. That would be the loss of a battle that led to the loss of a war. At the rate at which this stuff is developed, asking a few jonesers to front the development while they get none of the return is unfair. Keep that in mind while you hang out with your fingers crossed.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 12-14-1999).]

Just what I wanted to hear :)

Well, my last email got the response of real-soon-now, either that means that they've given up on giving out dealines (first time I've gotten this resonse from them), or they're actually getting close... Oh well, it's not like I had anything else to spend the money on or anything, besides new mikes, DI boxes, mixer, etc....

William "The Gullible" Underwood

THEY FINALLY RELEASED IT!!!!!!

Started shipping monday, mine should be arriving by Dec 30.

William "Faith in Humanity Temporarily Restored" Underwood

[This message has been edited by cwillu (edited 12-23-1999).]

I have been reading alot about Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96, and there is one question that no one has answered. Compatability. (I hope you are listening, Dragon) Don't make a list of what software it is compatable with, no one really cares. We want to know what it is NOT compable with. Are we going to buy this thing and get home to have our wet dreams of the "perfect setup" ruined by the Aardvarks inability to be used with a certain peice of software? Can you say blue balls?

I read an thingy about Gadget Labs, and they claimed to be compatible with everything, plus they have XLRs and midi and what not. I'm not sure on the price difference though, cause I can't find a retailer that sells the Direct Pro anywhere.

Oy!

All I can personally say is that my AARK 20/20 worked perfectly when I first got it, works better now with the new drivers, and has worked with every piece of software I've tried it on.

I know it seems that they suck for having all this vaporware, but it seems mostly to be their Direct stuff, which is kind of ground-breaking. Unfortunately I think they blew a lot of credibility as well as gave their competition enough time to duplicate it. If I was a prospective customer, I'd be leery too. But as a current customer, I have no complaints on support!

P.S. I understand the 20/20+ has been shipping just fine for quite a while, too.

Well, it arrived, after how many weeks (10+) of waiting.

(Of course, the UPS guy wouldn't give it to me until I paid 100 dollars worth of sales and import taxes; there went most of my christmas earnings.)

Well, just so you know, I just discovered that when using it at 96k, it seems to disable the onboard eqs, compressors and master reverb...

Got mine a couple of days ago. Installed real easy. Haven't tried recording yet. I have noticed that my computer has seized up twice today and it never did that before. I think it may be because I also have a Soundblaster installed-there was something in the instructions about making the two cards live together. Have to re-read that.

Tony

It seems to work fine with ISA soundblasters... but the manual says it doesn't like other PCI audio cards that use a Motorola chipset (i.e. event electronics).

Not a problem in my case, but consider yourself warned :)

William Underwood

Back