aardvark Direct Pro 24/96/Gina 24/94

waverz

Hey guys, I recently bought an echo Gina 24/96 and found it works great for guitar and bass, which i usually use to record myself. Now ive got a few bands that are wanting to record some demo cds and would like to see what i can do. Being i need something to record drums and vocals i'm trying to decide if i should either sell the Gina and get an Aardvark Direct Pro which has xlr ins with preamps, or get a mixer. What do you guys think?

record drums hmmmm...

if i had the $$ i'd get the aardvark Q10... 8 analog i/o's with crystal clear preamps in each one... but the aardvark you are talking about is just as good minus the number of inputs...

i think if you address the issue of expandability when buying audio interfaces you'll save a lot of painful time buying and selling later on...

if you get the Aardvark Direct Pro you can connect up to 4 aardvark interfaces to your one computer, so if you need the extra channels later on you can add 3 more Aardvark Direct Pro or Q10's or any combination of them...

the aardvark products have been designed to completely remove the need for a external mixer so i think its a great idea!

I like the Aardvark too, but be aware -- each outside interface requires a PCI slot in the computer. Up to 4 can be put in any one computer *if* you have the available slots.

The DirectPro has the advantage of having DSP effects (EQ, compression, and reverb) built in. Not good enough effects to use in the final CD usually, but defineatly good enough for what the artist hears in the headphones while recording. Most singers I've worked with like having a bit of reverb on their voice, while I like to lay down the track dry - this lets you do both at the same time easily with NO latency problems.

The DirectPro is 4 channel, the Q10 is 8 - one small note, the Q10 only has phantom power on the first 4 channels.

Of course, you can also mix and match - so if you got the DirectPro now, you can add the Q10 later and have 12 channels of quality sound that are happy to work together.

-lee-

If I looked right the gina only has 2 inputs. I don't think that would be enough to record rock music (I assume thats what you'll record), so you'll probably have to get another soundcard. The aardvarks seem like an easy way to skip buying a mixer, but I dont know if they can be as versatile as an actual mixer is.

ZiggY! said:
can you expand on this?

I don't know all the features of the aardvarks, but i think these are some things a mixer could do better: you don't have phantom power on all channels of Q10, and I don't know about aux sends on the direct pros, I'm not sure how versatile the headphone outs are. I don't think any of those are big problems, but I just find it easier to have a mixer now that I'm used to recording with one.

thats a fair statement...

tho i think aardvark are on the right track to removing the mixer from a home setup...

oh, and there are 4 aux sends in the q10...

Thanks for the response guys. Im gonna put the gina up on ebay get a direct pro. Then mabe a Q10 in the future when i have a little more funds. I didnt know the Q10 only had phantom power on 4 of the ins. I wonder why they wouldnt have them on all channels? Anyway im going to start recording this 5 piece metal band this weekend and i've got alot of reserch to do. Thanks for the advice.

waverz said:
I didnt know the Q10 only had phantom power on 4 of the ins. I wonder why they wouldnt have them on all channels?

This is a guess. The breakout boxes for both the Direct Pro 24/96 and the Q10 do not have any extra power - all the power is coming from the cable connected to the computer. This means all the power is coming from the PCI slot. Maybe powering 8 channels of phantom power would have needed too much power from one slot.

Good luck with your recording!
-lee-

Overall I'm very pleased with my DP24 but beware:

Aardvark's drivers are flakey. The latest drivers fixed many little problems, but a few still remain.

I realize I need to upgrade my rig (currently a lowly P3 550 w/ XP pro, Sonar 2.2), but the card still works well. Support with Aark is good and I'm hopeful that my issues of late will be fixed soon.

Still, when actual recording happens, the results are very nice!(even with my current horsepower limitations)

Great card - soso drivers.

Good luck!

i dont think i've ever needed more than 2 channels at one time with phantom power...

there is an extensive compatability list with hardware and software for aardvark products on there site...

I have the Direct Pro and love it... I'm also looking to expand... thought about selling my DP and getting a Q10. But Now I'm thinking of just adding a Lx6 and then getting some different Pre amps, i.e. DMP-3,RNP, Grace. That way I'll have the on board effects (Q10 does not)and Phantom on all 8, AND some different flavors of Pre's.

Where do you guys feel the Aark pre's sit in the chain?
Better or lesser than the DMP-3 & RNP?
I'd say the Grace 101 has got to be better. (but not from experience)
I'd also like some Tube Pre's like the Peavy VMP2, or maybe the Art or Behringer even though I've never really thought too highly about those Co.'s

Re: something similar to the ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000

waverz said:
looking for something simialr to the ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000 but i need something now...cant wait until 3rd quarter 2003. Any suggestions?

Fostex VC-8
Alesis AI-3

There are also quite a few high quailty 8 channel pres like the Event EMP3, and the presonus digimax, though I doubt you will find anything as cheap as the behringer.

Back