Aaarrrgh...noise, pleazzzz HELP!

gambetta

I'm a newbie when it comes to computer recording. I've been playing around on my E4K board for a couple of years, but now I want to record and mp3 some of my songs. I used the main L/R 8 mm outputs on the board, used two 8 mm to RCA adapters, and finally put these in an audio adapter which fits in the mic input on my labtop (Inspiron 4000). I just acquired Cool Edit Pro, and noticed that upon recording base-line noise was terrible (like an old computer game that goes awfully wrong) :((((. Played around with input levels, main volumes etc. but no progress. I noticed that the noise may be generated by the 2 8mm to RCA adapters, but I'm not sure. Why does nobody else seem to suffer from headaching background noise that even doesn't appear when I use maximum noise reduction on Cool Edit, is there an easier way or what am I doing wrong?

I noticed that my E4k also has a S/PDIF I/O!! I have however no clue of how to use that, or how to get that signal in my computer??? Would that be a valuable alternative!?

Pleazz, give me some baseliners here, I know you guys can do it!

Tx!!!

I don't know what an E4K is. (did a quick search, is it a keyboard?)

But, there are a few things that could be contributing to your noise problem.

1. Your connecting to the mic-in on your soundcard. Never a good idea for line level sources.

2a. Your soundcard is more than likely a POS with its own inherent noise problems. Noise floor around -30dB or so if it's real POS.

2b. The E4K may be a noisy keyboard (if it is one) and contributing it's share of noise along with 2a.

3. All those adapters can cause problems, but not usually hiss. Just aggravation by not working or working intermittently.

SP/DIF would be groovy if your soundcard also has this capability, otherwise not.

Solution?

1. Try the line in, not mic in and see if that gives you acceptable results.

2. Replace your soundcard. I beleive M-Audio www.midiman.com have some PCMCIA interface/soundcards that would be a step up.

2b. If your keyboard is also a source of noise, replace it to.

3. By replacing the soundcard, your cable adapting will be minimized.

I suspect your problems are in this order:

1. Mic in instead of line in.
2. Low quality soundcard in notebook, par for the course.

Emeric, thanks for the reply!

* The E4K is from the E-mu sampler/keyboard series, so likely the problem doesn't arise there.

*Does that mean that anybody that does computer (labtop) recording has up-graded the soundcard on their labtop?
It all looked so easy when reading the "how to..." websites, just plug in your keyboard and record :(...

When I recorded the signal without my keyboard being attached, the noise level was indeed between -40 and -30 dB, but upon attachment of the keyboard basenoise was around -10 db!! So indeed, both soundcard and adapters are the problem, but not the keyboard?

*This may be very naive, but I cannot find another input for my labtop other than the mic-in? Or do you mean the USB ports?

*I also tried to record on an older PC desktop with a midi soundcard, but even there the noise was tremendous, as a matter of fact, I now listed for the first time with some good headphones to the line out without any music, and I hear the same beepy noise, again the soundcard quality, is it only that?

*Could anyone suggest me a soundcard then that is good, and it'd be great if a S/PDIF I/O would be included!~!

Tx. again!!

gambetta said:
Emeric, thanks for the reply!

* The E4K is from the E-mu sampler/keyboard series, so likely the problem doesn't arise there.

Most likely not

*Does that mean that anybody that does computer (labtop) recording has up-graded the soundcard on their labtop?
It all looked so easy when reading the "how to..." websites, just plug in your keyboard and record :(...

Anyone recording on a notebook would need to upgrade the onboard soundcard to achieve a decent recording.

When I recorded the signal without my keyboard being attached, the noise level was indeed between -40 and -30 dB, but upon attachment of the keyboard basenoise was around -10 db!! So indeed, both soundcard and adapters are the problem, but not the keyboard?

That is odd. It sounds like you have some cabling problems as well as the noise floor of the soundcard. That, or your keyboard has some malfunction with its outputs.

*This may be very naive, but I cannot find another input for my labtop other than the mic-in? Or do you mean the USB ports?

I remember awhile ago, someone on the board had a notebook that had mic/line in, which was somehow switchable VIA software. I never heard the outcome on that one. Either case, it's a given that your onboard soundcard will be less than adequate.

*I also tried to record on an older PC desktop with a midi soundcard, but even there the noise was tremendous, as a matter of fact, I now listed for the first time with some good headphones to the line out without any music, and I hear the same beepy noise, again the soundcard quality, is it only that?

Beepy noise? Not sure on that one. Hiss will be an issue as well as overall fidelity.

*Could anyone suggest me a soundcard then that is good, and it'd be great if a S/PDIF I/O would be included!~!

A quick search for 'PCMCIA audio interface' on yahoo.com got me one link to http://aes.harmony-central.com/111AES/Content/Digigram/PR/VXpocket-440.html that product. No idea if it's any good.

If you have USB midiman.com make a few units.

Generally, recording on a notebook isn't super-popular. I have no doubt it can be done, as long as it stays within the required parameters and expectations.

Back