A word of encouragement

Hammerstone

Out of style
I'm not a tech, not by a long shot. I know how to use a screwdriver, open up something and blow the dust out, but not much more. Doing repairs scare me, to the point where I'm very tempted to pay a couple hundred bucks to have a tech do it for me. However, I just learned something:

It's not as scary as it seems!

I was able to completely disassemble my Tascam 244 to get at the pinch roller assembly, an idea that was so daunting to me that I put it off for several years. But now it's done, and I have a fully armed and operational portastudio, and I'm none the worse for wear - in fact, I was able to complete the project in one sitting. Of course, without Dr. Zee's instructions I would have been lost, but thankfully there seems to be enough information out there for anyone to find what he needs, given enough patience. So if I can do it, anyone else can too!

Well done. :)
It's amazing what we can achieve when we put our minds to it, or have nothing to lose.

I rebuilt a Canon lens recently...Scary procedure! lol

I'm not a tech, not by a long shot. I know how to use a screwdriver, open up something and blow the dust out, but not much more. Doing repairs scare me, to the point where I'm very tempted to pay a couple hundred bucks to have a tech do it for me. However, I just learned something:

It's not as scary as it seems!

I was able to completely disassemble my Tascam 244 to get at the pinch roller assembly, an idea that was so daunting to me that I put it off for several years. But now it's done, and I have a fully armed and operational portastudio, and I'm none the worse for wear - in fact, I was able to complete the project in one sitting. Of course, without Dr. Zee's instructions I would have been lost, but thankfully there seems to be enough information out there for anyone to find what he needs, given enough patience. So if I can do it, anyone else can too!

That's good to know. Dr Zee's manual intimidates the shit out of me. I brought my 244 to Tascam, but the bill was high, so next time it needs anything I need to do it myself. Scared!

Enjoy the 244. Sooo good.

That's good to know. Dr Zee's manual intimidates the shit out of me. I brought my 244 to Tascam, but the bill was high, so next time it needs anything I need to do it myself. Scared!

Enjoy the 244. Sooo good.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the bill, and what exactly did they repair? I'd like to know for future reference.

And now a word of advice:

When taking a portastudio completely apart to change out rubber pieces, you might as well go ahead and replace all of the rubber pieces! I think it took about two weeks after I changed out the pinch roller for the idler tires to go bad, so I had to do it...

All.

Over.

Again.

:cursing:

Anyway, it seems to get easier and go quicker the more you do it, which is also good to know, I suppose. I looked for the plumbing piece that Dr. Zee recommended but couldn't find the exact one; I did find the Brasscraft SF-0037 Faucet Adapter though, which is essentially the same piece but in plastic instead of metal. Cheaper than I expected, and works perfectly!

Back