A "why" question about Fostex:...

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
Why (based on known fact or opinion) does the MR-8mkII seem to be readily available while the more highly capable MR-8HD seems to have disappeared completely? And... upon quick-check it also seems the MRS16 seems to have entirely disappeared,... (was there a MRS24?) ... rounding back again: Is it that the MR-8mkII was a little sold new item as it was introduced, and is therefore still being sold off as a new-old-stock use-til-gone item? (I'll be honest, that's my present opinion, outright).

As a different but related question, what is it out there in Fostexland and/or why would I choose Fostex if I were looking for a recorder and/or mixer (porta format) solution?

Just curious and/or maybe a fun topic? I'm really puzzled. I looks like Fostex's presence has almost disappeared completely. I want to pick people's brains on this.

Thanks
:spank::eek:;)

Wait!...

Upon closer check, NO music sites seem to have new MR-8mkII's for sale at all. Musicians Friend com is selling only 1 as a "restock" item. The only source I could dig up on-the-quick was AMAZON, with "Only 16 Left". Amazon is not specifically a music gear site. A little research and I think I've answered my own question, but I'm still interested in discussing this and other Fostex issues, if anybody's interested in participating.

Thanks again!

With the advent of other digital technology, perhaps Fostex has decided to "get out of the business" so to speak. Interesting.

Hi, and thanx for your interest.

Last time I looked on the Fostex website their leading product was a small rig that enables stereo recording onto an iPhone.

The rest of their product line seems to have dried up and gone away. I was never a huge Fostex booster, but I thought they had some nicer products here and there in their line. I have several, myself. I was very surprised recently to realize they've all but disappeared from the scene, lately.

I also read and was reminded in a round about way of the history, apparently that some original Tascam Portastudio division engineers defected from Tascam back in the day to start Fostex as a competing entity. I guess they had a 30 year run, but now have little or no presence. Meanwhile, Tascam is putting out 32 track Portastudios. Go figure.

I've always liked Fostex and, in fact, my main machine is a D1624 which is a nice stable recorder.
I also have the MR8 HD for dragging around to places for live recording. Then I dump the tracks to my bigger machine for mixing since the EQ'ing and FX on the machine are dreck.
And there were always a few Fostex machines I lusted for back in the day.

But ....... there's becoming a smaller market for the stand-alones as even novices are turning more and more to getting an interface and using the 'puter they already have.

Someone's gonna go bye-bye when you have quite a few companies selling to a shrinking market.

Back