A very short one

jdavidb

This one is very short. It's just an intro to something I'll never finish. It's not my usual style. It has reverb drums! :eek: but, I like them for this tune anyway.

This is me working with six tracks after condensing them down from a test bed of 15 tracks. Here it is:

This isn't an ideal kick drum sample for this song. I'd be looking for another one if I were to get back to work on it.

Are you asking for opinions on the recording, or the writing, or ... what? Or maybe you're just posting it for the hell of it?

Sounded pretty good to me. The bass is maybe a little too loud, and the transients on it are a bit much in my opinion.

Other than that, it had a pretty cool vibe.

I put it here to just default in the context of the forum name "mixing clinic" just for that... to see what people say about the mixing. But, they can insult the songwriting too if they want heheh

Saying the bass is too loud is good news to me. I wasn't sure I nailed it on my non-monitors. Thanks.

Hi

I like the mood. Good idea for the reverb on the snare but I would increase the pre-delay to let the original snare sound come out a bit before that big reverb kiks in.

/Jack Real.

I agree, Jack. Thanks. That's one of those things that didn't catch my attention before.

I said I'll never finish this one, but it is one that I tweak more often than others. I've got ideas for it. It gets a lot of my attention. Basically, it's high in my list of what's important. The drive to put the next part to it just hasn't come yet, and this intro is now 2 years old.

I think I should pay attention to eq'ing the semi-distorted guitar that plays through the whole part. I guess if I get some of that guitar's presence out, maybe I can get the bass pulled down lower in volume, but it can still be prominent. I meant for bass to be up front, but I am sure it's way too up front now.

Back