A variety of questions from a beginner.

coolj

've decided to start recording on my pc,
I'm using an Aptiva Pentium 166mhz with the standard sound card that came with it, and an ACER CD-R. The software I'm using is Cool
Edit Pro, Sonic Foundry Sound Forge XP and Acid, Cakewalk 8.0, N-Track 2.0, and several other programs. I've used the standard computer mic to record the vocals, so far the music has been used from Hip Hop eJay, Fruity Loops, and Cakewalk. So far the vocals have been decent, not professional sounding but something I can settle for.
My question is, what kind of setup do I need to record using a condensor mic, a drum machine, and other musical instruments.
Also, I burned a test CD (yes, I closed it.) and it'll play on different computers, but a regular CD player won't recognize it, what am I doing wrong? I used the program that came with the CDR, and chose music cd. I tried using CD
Architect but it won't write since the drive isn't SCSI. Any help would be appreciative,
I'm new to this but I am a quick learner.

Jon Mullins

Wow
You've got an impresive arsenal of soft ware.
I guess to answer your questions. I started out some what the same. Then I started remembering back to the 70's and alll of the fun I had with recording. So I started asking old friends and band members and got the info I needed. You have an advantage here at Home Recording. But if I were you I'd start looking at mixers. I know it's confusing but find one in the price range you want to spend with the features that you want. A decent mixer will cost you $500.00 to $1200.00 U.S. Then go after the mics you want. You will also want to get some king of an interface to hook all of this up to your computer if you want to do true multitrack recording on your computer. If all you are ever going to do is 2 track stereo you can get by with patching into your sound cards line in jack.

You say that you closed the session on that CD but did you finalize it? Or did you mistakenly use a CD-RW?

Thanks for the reply.
The CD-RW is where I went wrong I guess.
The disc is a RW. I've been looking at mixers, just biding my time look at different features. One question, will the Peavey/Cakewalk mixer work? or is it Cakewalk proprietory?

I run cake walk with an analog Behringer 2642 mixer they work very well together. If I had it to do all over again I would buy the same mixer but would leave Cake Walk on the shelf at the store. I'm running this mixer tied to the Aardvark 20/20 interface and it works great. I'm using Samplitude to do live multitrack recording.and I am getting very good recordings on my computer.
My computer is a 400mhz 128meg system with a 10gig C drive and a 20gig D drive. The C drive is programming only and the D drive is for music only. It all runs under WIN98 which has been very stabil since it's first day of service nearly 90 days ago. I chose to run WIN98 After a go around with WIN95.
WIN95 is too unstabil to do any real extensive recording..This computer that I am writing this on is my internet computer only. It has not seen a wave file in the last 90days. If you can try to keep your music seperate from your internet and word processors. It has been my recent expierence that there are a lot fewer problems that way. And if you want to be here at HomeRecording while you burn a CD you can without screwing up your CD. Two computers are better than one.

Grizzly: What methods do you use to shuttle mp3s or .wavs from the Internet over to your recording platform?
Or from your recording platform to upload to the Internet?
Two systems are certainly more stable for the recording process than one, but some convenience is lost. And as long as I run only the recording apps while I'm trying to record, I've rarely run into any problems.
Nothing I couldn't blame on Windows itself.

Back