A tune recorded on the MR-8

digitcallous

I posted this under another thread, but it seemed like nobody noticed it. So...

I did this tune to learn how to use my MR-8. I was anxious to get it together so the playing is real sloppy, so don't trash me too badly.

This involved a total of 10 different track takes, so several of them had to be mixed down a couple of times. The song is an old Yardbirds song, except mine is "For Your Love (the twisted mix)."

Cool

Nice recording of what sounds like a rendition of For Your Love.

Not a bad mix at all. Just a bit too heavey on the low end. Did your use MIDI for everything but the guitar?

CR ><>

Hi Axe4,

The drums on the tune is done with a software drum program. Everything else is guitar and bass that I played. I have never used midi and don't know how to do anything with it.

DC

p.s. thanks to all who listened and commented.

Hey DC,

Not bad at all. Nice recording. Other than the MR-8, what other peripheral equipment did you use? I'm also interested to know what drumming software you are using.

My Yamaha keyboard has "drum kits" as one of the sounds, but I'm having a difficult time playing these keyboard drums.

Thanks,
KF

Hey Digit,

What software program did you use on the drums? I'm interested to learn if you went from your sound card to line in or used another method.

I should be getting my MR-8 pretty soon and have CakeWalk Pro 9 and I hope that will work well with the SB Live! sound card going out.

The sound was very nice and I do like your rendition. I couldn't listen too well to it since the little one was in bed, but very nice.

The drum software I used is Leaf Drums. I am still in my free trial period, but it seems to be working fine. I plan on registering it as soon as I get my new computer, which should be in the next few days. I believe it cost $25.

The trick to using Leaf Drums though, I found out, is to find good sounding drum WAV files. You can import WAV files and use them in this drum program. The program is quite easy to use.

For this song I actually connected the stereo line out from my PC to the MR-8 on both inputs and recorded it as stereo to tracks 7/8. When I turn the volume way up I can hear hissing. With the new computer I plan on saving the drums to a song to a stereo WAV file, separate it out to left and right mono tracks (I asked on this board how to do this) and copy them directly to the MR-8. I don't know whether that will work or not, but that's what I plan to try.

DC

Thanks for the info. I got my Sound Fonts working now and seems like with the MR-8, CWPA9 and some imagination you don't really need to blow $30.00 per hr when you can do it yourself. ;)

Again, thanks and I can't wait to get my MR-8 (ordered a week or so ago) and begin enjoying it.

Back