A Tascam 25-2 for $250: worth it?

Hammerstone

Out of style
There's a Tascam 25-2 not too far from me for $250 at the moment, when I saw the ad I jumped on it because it was a picture of a Tascam 42, but obviously the guy selling just found the first picture he could find and didn't bother to take any of his own, which is disappointing because a Tascam 42 for that price would be a screaming deal. He seems like a real flake too, I keep asking him questions he doesn't answer. Is it even worth it to drive up to Denver for it, or should I skip? I mean, I'm not all that familiar with this particular model, is it well-regarded?

If the seller doesn't answer questions and posts generic stock rather then actual pictures, those are two fairly strong signals to steer clear.

About the 25-2, it was a short lived series with comparatively noisier electronics to the newer versions which got progressively quieter hiss wise along with all the other specs coming up in quality.

Cheers! :)

If the seller doesn't answer questions and posts generic stock rather then actual pictures, those are two fairly strong signals to steer clear.

About the 25-2, it was a short lived series with comparatively noisier electronics to the newer versions which got progressively quieter hiss wise along with all the other specs coming up in quality.

The 25-2 was short-lived only because TASCAM started making the machine for Ampex as the ATR-700 and was contractually barred from competing with Ampex over the same unit. I've had one for over 30 years with very little problems. The biggest caveat regarding this model is that there are no more capstan motors available and that these motors cannot be rebuilt.

The 25-2 was short-lived only because TASCAM started making the machine for Ampex as the ATR-700 and was contractually barred from competing with Ampex over the same unit. I've had one for over 30 years with very little problems. The biggest caveat regarding this model is that there are no more capstan motors available and that these motors cannot be rebuilt.

I wasn't suggesting there were any reliability problems with the 25-2 other then it having noisier signal to noise specs compared to newer models, less than 60 db vs 70db on a tascam 42, as an example. Though if you use the built in dbx noise reduction, hiss wouldn't be an issue.

I wasn't suggesting there were any reliability problems with the 25-2 other then it having noisier signal to noise specs compared to newer models, less than 60 db vs 70db on a tascam 42, as an example. Though if you use the built in dbx noise reduction, hiss wouldn't be an issue.

Just addressing the "short-lived" comment. I will say that IMHO, the 25-2 records every bit as good as the newer models but doesn't playback as well. The mixes I've done on mine sound every bit as quiet as those I've done on my Ampex ATR-102 when played back on the 102.

Thanks for the info guys. I feel a bit bad passing up any 2-track mastering deck for that price, but really, it's not the model I'm interested in and I'd rather save up money for one I do want. And noise specs do matter to me, I'd rather do all noise reduction (if any) on the multitrack side and then just clean signal after that. :)

I've never used one, but that is a good model ... I was always kind of on the lookout for one. I would say it's a good price if everything is in great order and working well. Not a screaming deal, and you'd probably want some more info before going out of your way for it. That particular deck has more options than most of the other decks of the era.

Back