A stupid question about NS-10m's

TommyJ1112

Ok, this may be a dumb question, or at least a very simple one...

I just ordered a pair of Yamaha NS-10's off of eBay to use as a second set of monitors (they should arrive in a few days), and I am just trying to make sure I have everything I need to get them up and running when they arrive.

I also have the PreSonus Central Station to handle monitor switching/ signal routing.

Do I need an amp of some sort to power the NS-10's? If so, what should I be looking for?

(I'm not really a newbie by any means, but all of the other monitors I've used have been powered, so I've never had to think about amps before)

Thanks,
-Tom

Let the fun begin.

Check with BlueBear I think he uses them all the time. :D :D

What kind of amp are you using for your other set of monitors?
Also you could use an old home stereo as an amp.

Last edited:
NS10's are passive, so you will need an amp. Normally I'd suggest something with around twice the power of the speaker for a nice dose of headroom - But every time I try that with NS10's, I wind up with a pair of flaming tweeters in my lap. :eek:

Wait - That happens anyway... :D

Hafler TA or TransNova, used Bryston, whatever is available that's decent... NS10's aren't picky.

A Hafler works well, stay away from bottom of the line crap like Samson, etc... These speakers sound terrible enough by themselves, you don't want to handicap them with bad power.

Back