A studio out in the cold?

octoruss

Hola amigos,

I'm about to begin construction in my basement to refinish it, and make a "proper" studio. But in advance of the construction, I'll need to completely dismantle the studio and store it withle the work continues.

My question is, the only real place that I can put this gear during construction is in the unheated garage. So I wonder, will the extreme cold affect my electronic gear and instruments? I have things like a computer-based DAW, tube mics, acoustic and electric guitars, speakers, FX etc. Is this a bad idea or would you think no problem?

I would say that this is a bad idea. Why take the chance with all of you equipment?

You can probably rent a climate controlled storage space for pretty cheap and the cost would be worth it to protect your investment in gear.

octoruss said:
Hola amigos,

I'm about to begin construction in my basement to refinish it, and make a "proper" studio. But in advance of the construction, I'll need to completely dismantle the studio and store it withle the work continues.

My question is, the only real place that I can put this gear during construction is in the unheated garage. So I wonder, will the extreme cold affect my electronic gear and instruments? I have things like a computer-based DAW, tube mics, acoustic and electric guitars, speakers, FX etc. Is this a bad idea or would you think no problem?

Your biggest problem will be condensation building up inside all of your equipment/rubber parts cracking and electrolytic caps freezing (if you are in those temp climates). Definately do not store your stuff there.

Yes, and avoid waterfalls, pools, and other sources of extreme moisture around your electronics, especially your PC (assuming you have one).

Never submerge your PC while it is turned on.

I'd think there would be no problem with temporary storage in a garage (especially an attached garage)- more likely to get it ripped off than cold damage. I'd wrap the stuff in plastic bags with silica gel to avoid moisture and dust problems.
I can't offhand think of any electronic component that would be damaged by cold temperatures, as long as there was no rapid temperature change to cause thermal shock (like the garage catching on fire). :)

I don't know about mics but everything else should be fine. If there are any stringed instruments obviously remove the strings and keep them in the case. When reintroducing allow them to warm slowly and anturally in their case.

As fas as electronics they don't care. If they aren't wet or overheating they will be happy.

this situation is no different than a band that plays a gig somewhere or tours and puts all their gear in the car trunk or trailer and drives a nice distance in the cold than loads the gear into the club and begins to play an hour later. i have been on tours and kept all tube guitar heads and guitars in a cold trailer everynight with no problems at all. it is even harder on the gear cause it goes from cold to being turned on and back out in the cold again and not to mention all the bouncing around from the ride. tube mics dont take up much room id leave em inside and id put guitars under a bed or something if i could. i have a studio in my home and before i bought my home i had no place to put all of my recording gear.
so i did exactly what you are talking about, an unheated garage for about 2 months in the middle of a michigan winter. i had no problems at all. good luck!

spankenstein said:
If there are any stringed instruments obviously remove the strings and keep them in the case.
That's not always a good idea... without the tention of the strings, the truss rod could tweak the neck.

bang on - guitars are built to have their necks at high tension. take away that tension and the least problem you'll get is needing to reset your action. the worst is a warped neck which you ain't gonna be able to fix.

my 2p is that storage with silica gel etc is probably fine for your stuff, my only concern would be things that run hot such as valves would have their lives shortened by the sudden changes in temperature if you use them in the cold too.

but there's another question - if it's cold in there how are you gonna be warm enough to play or sit comfortably to mix for hours?

Back