A story with pictures

bdbdbuck

A lot of you here may already know that Alex Petty invited me to play at an open mic he hosts in a nearby town, so I accepted.
I arrived a little later than I wanted to, I figured I'd be able to sneak in the door without being seen, but Alex was tuning his guitar when I walked in and caught me! I introduced myself and soon he was doing his soundcheck, and pretty much confirmed that I would be blown off the stage regardless of when I played. Alex plays with another very competent musician who just happened to be there as well so they started the show.

THESE GUYS ROCKED THE HOUSE!
Yes, the Taylor sounds as good as it looks. More to come

Ok, I had to do some real chopping to get these to fit. The files were so big, that I had to split up the dynamic duo. Here's Alex Petty.

bd

Attachments

• alex petty crop.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 213
And his partner in crime, Larry (forgive me, I've forgotten his last name). Did I mention these guys ROCK?

bd

Btw, the lighting is not the best. In this shot, he's kinda standing back out of the lights.

Attachments

• larry.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 197
As I said earlier I was a bit late getting there, I wasn't expecting to see any of my offspring there! My baby girl was there waiting. Bear in mind, I was feeling intimidated already just hearing Alex do a soundcheck. My baby girl took the plunge, her first public performance! She did about 5 or 6 original songs and I think 1 or 2 covers....I think she did a wonderful job. I had to pound a couple of brewskis. Anyway, here she is, couldn't get all the red eye out.

bd

Attachments

• courtney.jpg
    courtney.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 229
Now I had to hold up my end of the deal! I had already had a few beers, so it wasn't all that bad! At least I didn't have to follow Alex! Damn those guys are good! Anyway, this is me stinkin up the place.

bd

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 197
I've got one more thing.....Back in the days when I actually made a living at this, I listened to, heard, played with, rubbed elbows with some damn decent musicians, some of which have actually made it. I sincerely believe that Alex Petty is a true artist that should be there as well. I'm glad to have made his acquaintance. If any of you ever get the chance to catch him live.....do it! Meanwhile, go to his website and listen. I think it's drumfish.com.

bd

Nothin' like the pure energy of playin' live with some great pickers huh BD? I envy ya! Been years since I did the same. Glad you had the chance!

Limoguy!

Yeah, I gotta say that it has been inspiring. I just got back into it in December, got a long way to go yet. I'm thinking I'll do a lot more in the future.

bd

Check Me Out!!!

Alex Petty rocks!!!
I look pretty possessed in my picture don't I?
Anyway, I am a new person since I went on for the first time...From now on, now that the ice is FINALLY broken, my social anxiety disorder will no longer be my crutch...HAAAAAHAAAA!!!
What dad neglected to tell you is that I had to use his guitar and that I quote on quote "beat the dog sh*t" out of it....
I told him that I couldn't help it "it's in my nature...."
So, next time I'll bring my guitar.

it was great fun!!

bd,

thanks a million for coming out and playing!! you (and courtney) sounded great!! it was awesome to actually meet you both.

also, thanks once again for the wonderful supportive words you posted about my musicianship. it means a lot to me to hear such things.

i hope to see you again the tuesday after next.. :) make sure you practice that song of yours with the awesome chorus that you wouldnt play... i want to hear that song all the way through!

:)

-alex

Re: Check Me Out!!!

bdbdbucksKID said:
What dad neglected to tell you is that I had to use his guitar and that I quote on quote "beat the dog sh*t" out of it....

My poor little pawn shop guitar......I should have put medium ga. strings on it. The harder she played it, the more it sounded like a tin can. All that aside, I think she did a great job for her first time.

Thanks Alex, I'll practice that song......you're too kind.

bd

Re: Check Me Out!!!

LMAO!!

Strings are not optional...but at least the back is made out of fiber glass! Hmmm..and if I'm not mistaken that's a "C" major chord...what were you playin?

Limoguy

hehe...sounds like all had a good time.

I would love to be able to perform with my daughter some day. But I'll be really old by then. :D

Yeah well uh.......I aint no spring chicken! I will say that my kids have been very "instrumental" in my decision to start playing again. With the exception of the youngest, they all play. Now the youngest has started taking guitar lessons in school, so I really needed to get on the ball and dust off the cobwebs. I'm having a blast! I've almost gotten to the point where I may even post a recording pretty soon. Got a collaboration going with a few of the guys over in the Fostex forum that's coming along pretty good, another couple weeks and it will be ready.

bd

bdbdbuck said:
Yeah well uh.......I aint no spring chicken! I will say that my kids have been very "instrumental" in my decision to start playing again. With the exception of the youngest, they all play. Now the youngest has started taking guitar lessons in school, so I really needed to get on the ball and dust off the cobwebs. I'm having a blast! I've almost gotten to the point where I may even post a recording pretty soon. Got a collaboration going with a few of the guys over in the Fostex forum that's coming along pretty good, another couple weeks and it will be ready.

bd

:cool:

can't wait to hear it.

I just got the cd back from clifchamb. He did drums and bass.....only he sent mp3 strero tracks. The whole idea of the cd was to send unmolested mono .wav files back and forth. He was in such a hurry to leave for Hawaii he just wasn't thinking. Hell, I wouldn't have either! I can convert the files, that's not the problem. It's just gonna have to be a stereo mix on one track and all the others dubbed in, then later when he gets back, I'll get him to send mono .wav files for the final mix. Aint nothin but a thing.

bd

Thats just cool, fellas, and baby girl. I haven`t met anybody on here in person yet, although one lives about 90 miles away and two live in one of my old hometowns in Atlanta, I hope to meet them soon.
Ohhhh, did I mention somebody needs to try a real camera instead a silver plate and flash pan next time? :)

i think he just means that the camera took pictures that were so dark :)

i'll bring a video camera and a good digital camera next week!

-alex

Back