A step in the right direction

Jagular

I posted this at "the other forum" as well...

Hi guys. I just signed and mailed my first single song contract. It is with a small Nashville publisher who has connections in the business through their other related businesses, but to my knowledge has not had major label success in the publishing area yet. They have been around for quite awhile as a publisher and have about a 1500 song catalogue. 1501 now I guess :D. Anyway, the song I signed was "When the Sun Rose, I Fell" and it was co-written with David Graham and Kenny Shore (this is his first contract as well).

I'll tell you a quick story about this song. I attended a seminar in Nashville. Part of that semiar was a songwriting contest where everyone drew a hook out of a hat. We had to write the hook we drew and this was it. We spent only a few hours on it over all. Probably 6-8 at the most. It did make the finals of the contest (the winning song was great and is currently being pitched around Nashville).

I played this song for one of my mentors and he thought the hook stunk. He did think we did about a good of job of writing it as we could though. We played it for another publisher in town and the feedback was "doesn't blow my skirt up". LOL. My co-writer played it for this publisher and he loved the hook, melody & lyrics as a whole. There you go. Listen carefully but remember it's still opinion. A wise man knows when to take his own council as well as that of others. Keep pushing if you believe in it.

I was offered a single song contact on another song 7 years ago and didn't sign it. The funny thing is, back then I was more excited about it. It seemed like the Holy Grail back then. It isn't. This is just one more rung on a very tall ladder. I am excited, but in a different way. I am excited that I made this very small step and at the challenge out there to be had yet. I am also excited as now, I am officially in the game and if nothing else, I will meet new writers and get opportunities from this step.

I like your melodies. Especially the verses are great I think. I'm not that satisfied with the choruses as with the verses though. More catchy choruses could lift all songs I listened to up to really, really good. Thats my opinion only, and might be wrong o'coz.
It could also be that an arrangement on the choruses could lift them as they are.
Now they seems to be flat and equal to the verses as they both have only vocal/guitar (as least those I listened too)
Keep up the good work

Back