a start with vocal booth

charoo

Well friends !

Finally i just wanna to be stand on the floors and start doing things practically, you people already know that i cant afford expensive designers and other sound proofing and acoustic material. But i am sure you poeple gonna guide me for best and i am starting with vocal booth i.e. Length: 9Ft 2" x Width: 5Ft 4" a rectangular room. I just read some post on PVC pipe with blankets wraped around.... is it sounds great? adding some bass traps over corners of room make it sounds good ? Waiting for ur reply.

luv
charoo

Charoo, we would need lots more information than you gave if we were to help.

First, the blanket thing will help some, mostly on upper frequency isolation, but is nowhere NEAR as good as a solidly built booth. If you have a medium-sized clothes closet, you could record vocals in it with at least as good result.

Second, I have no idea what types of building materials are available at what prices in India - It would help if you could provide a list of what is available for you, and at what price.

Here in the US, lots of cheaper building materials are actually BETTER for sound proofing than some of the more expensive ones. For example, there is gypsum board, also known as dry wall, gyp-rock, plaster board, and sheet rock, depending on what part of the country you ask for it - Sheet rock in 5/8", sells for around $6-7 USD, where some other, less sound-deadening sheet panels go for up to $50 USD (veneered plywood, 3/4")

MDF, or Medium Density Fiberboard, at around $8 to $15 per 4'x8' sheet, is also good sound proofing board. Combining two layers of sheet rock with a center layer of 3/4" MDF makes for a good outer layer , provided the whole thing is still indoors and not in a wet location.

If the dimensions you gave for a vocal booth are INSIDE dimensions, you should make the ceiling height 8'2", and NOT 8' exactly. In fact, a better internal size, if possible, would be 10'x7'3"x8' - these ratios would give more uniform response.

If you have the ability to order books from Amazon.com, I would HIGHLY recommend F. Alton Everest's book, Master Handbook of Acoustics - it costs about $25 USD, and is worth many times that price. The more you study it, the more you will understand what you're doing with your entire studio acoustically.

Hope this helps... Steve

Back