A song from my roots...

Myx62

I recently did a song for fun that is a lot like how I used to write songs in the 80's.... Its been a while since Ive written a new song. I've been real caught up in the mixing and mixing and remixing thang...
The song is like a Styx/Rush/Judas Preist kinda thing. I tried to make the solos sound like they were from different guitar players and they were all off the cuff as most that I do are. Give it a listen and tell me what ya think. Should I finish doing the vocals and remix it with more mids? Or should it stay in my collection of oldies but goodies.....I did some creative panning and stereo imaging. Mainly this is an experiment....The song is "No tommorrow".
Myx

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1929&alid=-1

Hey Myx - A genre I'm well familiar with. Now, normally, I'd say you had way too much effect on the vocal, but this is what the Rob Halford was all about, right? I mean, sometimes it was hard to tell JP's live cuts from their studio cuts (RRREEEEEE-VERB).

Okay, so first, cool tune. Next, the lows are pumped way too much...I think. Sounds kinda' like you sucked all the mids out too, but it works on the leads.

Yeah...I'm thinking the low lows could come down a notch or 6.

:D
-nobody

Your right Chris. The lows are heavier than I thought. I did a remix and compared and wow?? what happened. The remix is uploaded now....Thanks for the listen Chris.
Myx

If there was a problem with the lows before, it sounds like you took all of them out........I didn't hear the first version, but about the only thing it seems to be missing now is bottom end........

i think the verby vocal works on this style of song, but i'd spend a little more time finding the perfect verb settings.......it works right now, but seems just a touch off compared to the rest of the mix.........just a suggestion cause it sounds decent now

nice job

Nice !!!!!!!!!!

I wish I heard version 1. The Bass is tough to make out in this version. There are discernable lows, but maybe a slight EQ on the Bass could seperate it for you.

Definately has the 80's feel !!
I came from that branch myself and always enjoy these tunes.

Next time if you want the "2 soloists" type sound, try using different pickups for each one. It would really work well in this tune!! Maybe a little Hendrix sound.

A real nice effort for an experiment !!

Joel

the panning in te beginning is cool.
man i can tell a huge difference in your vocals from your first post to this.....nice work.
bass drum needs to be louder.....man this song needs drums that you feel in yer chest!!!.....u sure can play the guitar ..damn...at 2:28....really let loose...cool!!....

and find a way to make that lead stick out up front more ..not so much a volume adjustment.....maybe someone can help out here i 'm not sure what it needs????......but it needs have more "clarity".?

cool song . vocals are improving nicely.....keep it up and that whole "im getting a girl to resing all this"...will be right out the window..:D

jamal

good tune.. doesn't sound like 'Rush' at all though.. but I do hear some 'Priest..

the guitars sound good, but it sounds like it's spread a bit thin to me.. maybe because of the lack of bass.. it's wide but not enough in the middle maybe.. don't know.. it sounds good for the most part. nice guitar sounds.. needs more bass drum.. not crazy about the snare.. like the tune..

I went to far backwards with lowering the bass levels. The first version was overkill though.... I will find a happy medium.

Soundboy: Thanks for the encouragment...

Powder: Yeah, It became feast or famine with the bass. Im trying to figure out how to get a good vocals sound without so much verb. I hide behind it-lol. Thanks for the listen.

Jcmm: Thanks for the tip on switching the pickups. Stupid me...
good call...I might acually do something with this song after all.

Jamal: Thanks for the encouragment on my vocals. I didnt really want to get that good at vocals, cause now I have to practice playin gtr and singing at the same time. Its frustrating. Ive been doing it all day. After not playing for about 7 years Im finally getting my chops back....

B. Sabbath: I think the Rush influence is mostly the creative panning. I like the way they did some of their wild panning on 2112. Im getting into that more... The original version has bass for days. I kinda went both extreams, or I put the wrong version on-lol Too many mp3, wav's etc... I havent even been labeling my burned CD's lately.... Thanks for the listen and input.
Myx

I liked the song but i'm not to crazed about the drums at all. Definitly need some pumpin' stuff and where's the bass. Man this could rock.

OK , I remixed it with mo Bass....
PLAudio, are you talkin about Flash the Poster before you or Flash LA metal style? LOL ...I guess I dont have a record deal huh? They wouldn't let ya do stuff like that...

Last edited:
I liked your song, loved the delay's. Vocals are great sounding, they seem to get lost in the mix at times. Gtr chops are great! Enjoyed it much thanks!

Thanks guys for the listen....I remixed the shit out of this song.

Chris: Im still working on the bass and other things on the song, but Im going to set it aside for a while and work on some newer stuff. Thanks for checking out the remix. I appreciate that.

Trackrat: Whats an SR-16? The leads were done on a Ibanez RG with stock pickups thru a digitech RP-100... Thanks for the listen and compliments.

David: Im glad you enjoyed my trip back to the 80's(future?) we can only hope. My chops are still a bit rusty, but Im gettin them back.

So as the song stands now, the mids in the drum machine track need alot of work. The whole mix kinda sounds victim to the "happy face" EQ theory. Too much scooped out of the mids at around 500hz to 2.5khz.

I still think the vox are a bit washy and unfocused.

I liked the feel of the tune, keep up the good work.

I agree about the drums jake. I use a Boss DR-670 and its hard to tweek the drums to sound good. When I do, I forget what I did. I think Ive found a good setting the other day on a newer song Ive done..... Im still looking for a good drummer though...
I have a bad habit of mixing with a happy face:) My guitar amps always have the mids turned all the way down and the bass and treb up.....I put a mono vocal track on a newer song and mixed it with the stereo track and that seems to help even out the mids...
Thanks for the listen.
Myx

PS. Just for the record, I despise my drum machine, especially programming it. Anyone know any good drummers that have their own drum mic's?

Last edited:
Back