A song about hope in the face or darkness.

Tom Paul

So here is a song I wrote after suicide tore through my life this year...2 friends and Robin Williams. How do you get to such a hopeless dark place and how do you get out of it? It leaves us survivors wishing we had been better friends, had seen the signs, had invited them over,......

I was going for kind of an Americana, REM, Petty feel. A friend named John Marsden mixed it and added the Hammond organ and piano. This was recorded and mixed in three separate home studios...email and internet brought the parts together.

I tried to post this last week but I can't see that it ever appeared. I apologize if you have seen a post already.

This is very well done. Hearing the Petty.
The lead guitar sound is a little too fuzzy. Vocals start out weak, but end strong.
Three different studios. Isn't the internet a great place for getting workflow together.

Nicely done! Has to my ears a very Jacob Dylan sound (who I admire). As a singer-songwriter type myself, I like the simplicity and message of the song. My only minor critique is the title while integral to the chorus, is a bit obvious for the song. Maybe consider "Keeping The Wolves At Bay" (or some such)? Adds a bit of crafty interest to one just scanning titles.

Back