A song about a car (Opel Manta)

Pedullist

Stop it, I can't breathe
Hi folks,

It's been a while since I last posted a song....mainly because I'm collaborating my ass off, the last few months. Which is rather great, actually. I'm learning a lot from doing it, and I've made some terrific new friends.

OK, this is my silly attempt to write a simple 'road song', of course it's about a car (an Opel Manta). Lyrics were written by my friend Remco Mourits (in 10 minutes I believe).

I've tried to achieve a loud and driving 'live' sound, but I have a feeling I might have taken it a little bit too far. It sounds a bit anal at the moment, but I'm not sure what's making it anal exactly. Perhaps it's just my rotten nasal voice, perhaps the cymbals are too mono....:)

No reverb on the tracks this time btw. It's one of my new experiments: I noticed I don't need as much processing as I always like to think.

Opel Manta (last one on the page)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2618&alid=462

O, and eh...Trip....there's a pop/click at 1:01....especially for you! :D

Last edited:
Needs a ton more reverb. The vocal isn't nasal enough. I don't like cars. I can't stand the lyrics. Could use some more processing.

I better scan that next bass track from you with Norton...

...twice...

:)

Actually I think you've got a very cool voice...super smooth, well of course except for that Dutch thing you Netherlands people have to do that sounds like sneezing. But that's the language, not you, and I actually do think it sounds phonetically cool most of the time. :)

This has a great groove and melodies/harmonies as usual. It could use some EQ work in the low mids, but certainly not much reverb. As I've said a hundred times you work through music very quickly, making the count of 3 languages that you communicate with fluently.

I'm just about to post my a capella cover so just pretend it sounds good and I won't delete it. :) (kidding...it stays no matter what abuse I take.)

Bet you wish you could take another week off from work. Wouldn't mind a couple more of these rockers fro you. I'm about to email those files to you too. Later.

Ped-
I really enjoyed this as usual. The guitar tones were nice and you are way too hard on yourself in terms of vocals. I thought they were very nice. The cow bell was cool and perfect for the song (I hope that was a cow bell I was hearing)!

I just hear some heavy mids in there. I want to hear that bass clearly and maybe a little more shimmer up top.

The song was way cool!

Maybe bring up the vox because I could not understand the words ;) :) ...seriously the vox could come up a smidge.

Very nice. Good to hear a new one from you! Always a pleaseure. Thanks.

Tjarko... did you go all Violent Fem on us :confused: ... :) (the acoustical intro thing...)

Nice groove... when the instruments kick in, the guitar seems to go away in your
mix... and is that bass mixed too low? Kick drum could use some meat, too. Some
of the tracks need laundered for hiss/noise... but overall a very nice arrangement
and good mix.

All the voc overdubs work well...

Hey... I thought I heard "my car" in there somewhere :eek:

The bridge RULES!! Great progression/rhythm... (beginning at 1:44)

Hey... do bassists go without picks on elec gtr... just "fingurrrs" ... like guitarists use picks on
bass? Hey, c'mon! We gotta have something to make fun of your guys for! :D You're
too damn talented :)

Definitely repeat-listenable... very infectious... LOVED that progressive feel
in that bridge. Now... those weird-ass nonsense English lyrics you're singing, on
the other hand :p :eek: :confused:

C

Cat sgggggggggrrrrrrratch fever ? I'm addicted to love ? I'm hearing a little 'Huey Lewis and The News' also ...

I like that board members are exploring this technique you present in the beginning from 00:00 - 00:15, this 'suprise' ... and this is effective.

If I could speak the language you are singing in, I bet I could understand every word of the lead without feeling challenged at any time. Thanks for mixing the lead vocal crisp and clear.

The lead vocal and the backups sound very 'authentic' and 'in your face', I am really pleased that board members are going to the other extreme on the use of effects on their vocals. You certainly have room to add some effects to the vocal now, some room to experiment. But I think you will always be coming back to drier for this song. ;-)

As board members go to the 'dry extreme' on their vocals, of course the pendulum will swing back the other way, and the experience at both ends of the spectrum will provide all of us ... with a good learning experience. This has been my intention with my bitching about effects on vocals.

This song and your voice really sound good this way, it's 'you'.

The backup vocals are very nice and mixed at a level where we can enjoy them.

I think you have shortchanged your own primary instrument, I want to hear more bass, just a tiny, tiny bit more of the lowest frequencies. Let the guitars down in some places and let your bass shine out a bit more.

The guitar work is very nice, many different textures ... a smorgasbord of guitar sounds ...

The breakdown at the end, gives us the feeling that it is more of a 'band' that you weren't the only crazy bastard spending his life in a little room with a bunch of machines ... ahhh ... yeah ... :D

Your whole 'style' and the way you do a whole song is becoming more complete. You sing with confidence throughout the whole song, good intonation, the little things you do with your voice are becoming even more well defined, your style is becoming more well defined.

Cool tune, I'll jam with this on cello today, I can't stop playing my new cello, my fingers hurt like shit, so I guess I'm a 'sadomusicist' !

1:44 to 1:58 is one of my favorite points in the song, very classical rock sounding, and precisely performed.

A very cool song. I might even like this better than Neem Vrj (spelling?). Not sure about that, I like'em both. But this one's got a great feel. I think you're voice is very cool. Always interesting, tight harmonies.

Guitar hook is nice. Guitar's all played well.

You put that pop in at 1:02 (on my PC) on purpose didn't you? That's not a typical pop. It's like you clinked a glass with a butter knife or something, just to see if I was awake.

My only legitimate gripe is with the vocal levels. As always, I say bring'em up. You have a good voice, stop hiding behind those guitars.

The other thing I'll bring up is a "matter of taste" thing. The buzzy guitar is a little too buzzy. Just by a little bit and just in my opinion.

As I said, real cool song. Your buddy, Trip...

TripleM said:
You put that pop in at 1:02 (on my PC) on purpose didn't you? That's not a typical pop. It's like you clinked a glass with a butter knife or something, just to see if I was awake.

You just can't trust these people....

SLuiCe: thanks! Norton? :rolleyes: Which software by Norton? The antivirus software I presume? I shall work on those lower mids. Thanks for the sample. You'll hear on the next version.

skids: yep, that's a cowbell. A fake one, just like the rest of the drums. I shall work on those lower mids. This is actually an old song, recorded with my Korg AX100G guitarprocessor (instead of the Pods I have now). I recorded the bass through this processor too, and I think that explains 1. the lack of bass and 2. the abundance of lower mids. So I'll retrack that bass part. I'll have to do 20 SLuiCe songs first, but as soon as I'm done with those I'll do it OK?

participant: the guitars GO away when the other instruments kick in. OK, I'm from holland and maybe a little weird but that doesn't mean I think it's normal to play a rockin' tune on a fuckin' nylonstring guitar LOL....

And for your information, I played this basspart with a pick. It's raaaaaaawk, you know? I switch whenever I like. No principles for me, buddy. ;) :)

Thanks for your comments on the bridge. I was particularly proud of the twin guitarsolo. I hope no one complains about the sound, because it was two lucky takes.

Eh, hiss/noise....where? Which track?

studioviols: the beginning is going to be even better, even cheesier (thanks Tom). Lead vocal isn't completely dry btw. Well, one is. But there's a second doubling lead (one of the earlier takes) mixed very low in the background with loads of distortion on it. Ya, that ending is weird isn't it? Rather ironic, spending several hours on a seemingly 'spontaneous ending'. :D

TripleM: you sick motherfucker....that IS a butter knife against a glass. I'm not even kidding. I've added it especially for you. Your ears baffle me. What buzzing guitars? There are about 12 guitarparts in this song....please be specific LOL :D

All in all: work on the lower mids, basstrack and bring up the vocals if necessary. Thanks a lot guys!

Pedullist said:
[BTripleM: you sick motherfucker....that IS a butter knife against a glass. I'm not even kidding. I've added it especially for you. Your ears baffle me[/B]

That's classic! :)

Regarding my "buzzing guit" comment, maybe I should listen again. I just thought you had some distortion going on with it. It seemed to have a low-end hum to it. I actually thought it was kind of cool, but maybe just too much of a good thing. Could be the headphones I was listening on.

Now regarding your viscious personal attack... You will not draw me into a meaningless name-calling match. You know, you try to help out some people and they have no thankfulness. he he

Seriously - what was that clink and did you put it there for me to spot?

TripleM said:
Seriously - what was that clink and did you put it there for me to spot?

Already told you. You told me.

It's true. It's a butter knife against a glass, added especially for you.

....opel ....isnt that one of those wannabe corvettes?

...before you ask me to dinner again, know im kidding ;) :p :)

..this was a cool one man. I liked this right from the dramatic beginning. Nice drum sounds (source?). I too like the cowbell in this, fits perfectly. I cant get to much into eq from here (office computer) but the balance overall sounds great.

Nice vocal arrangement. I like the way the bg's work in this.. ...nice. ...and I dig your voice, so enuff of that self deprication. ...even the uucccchhhkkk, iccchhhk, and occcchhhk sounds:D

Nice use of the acoustics in this, nice live feeling contrast.

Nice work man... ...and im Not kidding here.
gw/5

you rock!!!....enjoyed this a lot.....and I don't even know what you're sayin'!:D .....it just sounds good......I like the guitars a whole lot....very nice playin'....you're vocal is just fine too....excellent!!

Sounds great! I think "deceptively simple" applies here. A great deep arrangement that could pass as pop if need be.

Your positive attitude and love for what you're doing come through strong. That's a good thing, especially today.

I love the break at 1:44.

I think Tom is right about the low mids. That's my only criticsm. This is a little muddier than your other stuff. I'm confident you can clean it up.

Don't let all that collaboratin' prevent us from hearing more of this stuff! I guess you now just have the responsibility of doing more playing and recording.;)

Hey pedullist,

Nice tune! I like the sound, composition AND arrangement.

PLUS I can understand the lyrics! :)

So... do you drive a Manta yourself? :D

RobertsHatch_1.jpg

Back