A 'SMARTBOX' Production - Take II

Khompewtur

*Retired*
Hello deah peeps and peepletts.

Shaun and I enjoyed working together so much we decided to keep making more music. This is our follow up to HRC #4 'Moira'. Technically we all worked together with Sluice on 'The Cold City', but this had been in the works before we began the 'The Cold City' so it is actually #2 from us.

oh btw, Shaun (Analytical Man) did the guits and drums and fx on this and i did the bass and we both did the vox.

Why not come sit down and listen and let us know what you think..
(pepperidge farm cookahs).

"Admonish"

Wow, this rocks! I totally dig it. In fact, I have no nitpicks at all. Great energy on this. Really leaps out of the speakers at me.

Great!

Chris

You Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you have a winning combo going here.
The Bass is a BIG factor in the sound of the music.
It's uncanny to think that you guys are working across a network and achieving THIS level of..........................CREATIVITY!!!!

Well Done.
Look forward to more.

Dan

peppridge farm remembah's..

very happening tune! 7 string guitar? lot's of cool parts.. the drums sound over compressed to me.. not crazy about the vocal sound, but the vocal performances are good.. nice heavy voice! There's a bad edit @1:59 that sticks out like a sore thumb.. You could probably cover it with a strategic cymbal..I wanted to hear a cleaner vocal sound here.. the drums lack a bit of punch during the heaviest sections..

enough nits, great song here.. you guys do great music together.. not the best recording I've heard from you, but another good tune! I like it! nice harmonies too.. there's lots of little things I'm noticing with repeated listens.. very cool!

First off. Very cool song. Cool structure and sounds. Bass sounds perfect for this. Guitars are are nice. Vocal performances are terrific. Who did the screaming? Cool.

The vocals sound cool. Nice harmonies. But, because you have the vocals panned throughout the stereo field, I can't hear the instruments very well. There is no place for them to sit IMO. I think the effect is nice in places, but I would limit it some so you can hear the instuments more. For parts of the song the only thing pulling us through rhymically is the bass. Drums need more punch and probably volume. That will help as well.

I hope this makes sense and maybe you were going for this feel but I want a little more separation even with those very cool vocals. I also think limiting the spread in places would clear up the vocals in some parts. Again just my opinion.

Great work together. Keep it up! A very cool listen.

Last edited:
Another awesome collaboration guys...

It has that Alice In Chains vibe going on....

Killer vocals... Nice guitar work....

The drums could be a bit thicker and punchier...

That has got to be one of the best bass recordings I've heard..... Its so clear and well defined but still holds down the bottom end perfectly....

You two should thinkabout doing a whole album... You work well together...

Excellent job!!

I readily confess to not being the world's biggest fan of this genre of music but, I can see that a ton and a half of effort, talent and creativity went into this piece.

The mix sounded very smooth and all the key instruments were clearly positioned in the mix.

The vocals were near impossible to follow without the posted lyrics on the page so, kudos for that too!

I now know why I don't hear fresh stuff like this on the radio anymore! It's because it's all here, exclusively at the clinic!

Nice work, gentlemen!;)

I'm gonna say thanks here to the people who have taken the time to give this a review. Thank you very much.

groucho - man that punchiness is all shaun's doing, he's got the knack for this, he really impresses me. Thanks for the kind words.

hevy - thanks for the encouragement hevy, yeah i wanna keep this collab going working with shaun is great

sabbath - coookies... i don't know why but i haven't been able to NOT hear the pepperidge farm guys in my head for like 2 days. I used a 5 string on the bass, but i think Shaun may have drop-tuned. Something between a low A-Bb i think. No edits happening where you mentioned, that could be because Shaun cuts of his harmonic to go into a chord.

skids - It's Shaun with the heavy vox, when it gets raw like that he's the man. I will take another look at the panning. Thanks for the review.

sloop - Thank you sloop.

Kelly - I love AIC, love 'em. It would be great to have them as an influence. I liked Shaun's guitars so much i didn't want to molest them with my own, so i guess i put all my tlc into the bass, thank you.

Ghost - I am going to find that genre that you like and then i swear i will make a kung-fu version of that genre, well ok maybe not but glad to have your ears on this and thanks for the kind words.

I do hear an AIC and Disturbed vibe. I think the vocs need less effect. The drums lack punch. The bass sounds great. I heard a couple of timing issues. Other than that This is a great song. This happens to be my Fav genre of music. I never thought a collaberation could work so well across the net. Look forward to hearing more from you guys.
Myx

Sick man. Sick. Very cool song!

There seems to be a little hole in the mix during the chorus. Like maybe some low mids were cut. Not sure.

Anyway, that rocked. Guitars sounded great, and the vocals were strong too!

Cool....
You fellas got a lot of good comments already...
Here are my "mirror" comments...

Bass....EXCELLENT tone and performance..
Drums....could use some punch...especially on the kick and snare...
Vox....great for the genre but, yeah...impossible to follow the lyric without reading it....
Guitar...I dig the wall of sound...cool metal-mania tone/distortion

You two guys make a great team....
Two thumbs up fellas,
Joe

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch to everyone for listening. I will try and fix some of the things you mentioned in future songs. Thanks. Khompy's voice is just excellent...i agree!!!

Hey Khompy,......
.....very cool one here man. I like the bass effects in this... ...fun listen. Very cool vocs in here. Nice harmonies, and cookie monster screamin. Nice gits too analytical. I agree w/ the comments about the drums.

Fun production ideas.

godamnfun:)

Ok, i'm givin this one last go-round. Seems like traffic in the clinic is getting heavier as of late so man stuff is just flying off the page. Maybe now that school is in session everyone is gettin back to studio work.

Thank you Myx, Sluice, joro, Toki, and Guernica for taking the time to listen and review. Very appreciated.

Very good performance from both of you! I dig collab's...it is amazing to me how people who have never met in person can share a vision and actually pull it off! This is very good.

You've already got a lot of feedback mix wise. The only thing I noticed was the bass seemed a little bit too heavy on my end. It sounds like the highs could come up just a tad to compensate, or possibly the bass lowered just a tad -- imho --

I like the song and the vocals are well done.

:)

Back