A simple 2 track song

I dig the guitar sound. It almost sounds a little flanged. I would consider turning down the verb on the vocal track a bit. I think a nice wet acoustic sound mixed with a fairly dry vocal would sound nice.
Around 3:45 think about taking some of those notes down the scale a bit, just nice and sm00th- not pushing anything.
cool tune :)

Hey auburncatfish,

I'm certainly not the best advice around here but, I'll lend my thin thoughts and get you rolling in the desired direction.

I think for "intimate" you've the wrong reverb on the vox ( and too much of it). Try less verb and something closer to a "hall verb" Right now it sounds like you're singing in a concrete tunnel. That might be intimate for run away teen lovers :) but, you'd fair better with less verb and more warmth.

The git sounds pretty good. Maybe cut some boom out with eq and try a dual mic recording if you're not already.

What is your mic set-up and chain?

Nice vocals btw.

Hope this helps a bit. Wish I could offer more.

Peace,
Theron.

I would like to hear a richer guitar sound on this, especially since the arrangement is so sparce. I think the guitar sounds OK, except it sound like you've EQ'ed the high end with a crappy EQ and it sounds sort of 'phasey.' This guitar sound would work much better in full mix.

Performance-wise, the vocal is really good. Try getting closer to the mic for a little proximity effect and make it a little more intimate, like you said. Also, the reverb is pretty bad - some really audible artifacts. Try a better quality reverb, or play around more with the one you've got.

I really like your voice. Very warm sounding. Nice music too.

I'm not sure you would want any reverb on a song like this. But I agree with theron that it's too rich for an intimate sounding piece. If any reverb is used, it should be very subtle imo.

Sounds like your pick hit the front of the guitar a couple of times (say around :08 and :17). Maybe there's something with your mic position on the guitar that's not as good as it could be. I think it would sound better with a richer sound on the guit.

A little pitch issue with the vocals around :30-:33. Maybe that's what you wanted, but it sounded sharp to me.

Some other ideas... double tracked guitar... three part harmony on the chorus. But then that's pretty much my stock recommendation anyway :D:D:D

My thoughts... Trip.

Just to echo what's already been said, to me intimate = dryer. Try some more subtle verbs.

Twist

theron said:

What is your mic set-up and chain?

Very basic mic set-up. I ran both the guitars and vocals through the same MXL 1000 condensor. The signal went into the Delta Omni pre's and into Sonar where it was recorded.

I added verb later. Probably not the best verb, I'll fool with it. I used the soundstage program in Sonar for it. I guess in terms of intimate I had the following picture in my mind. Empty bar with the chairs up. One person in the audience.

EQ was very minimal and done in T-racks.

Thanks again for y'all comments.

I ran both the guitars and vocals through the same MXL 1000 condensor

Was it recorded live? i.e. both vox and git at the same time. I'd try different mic placments on the git. The process is not all that thrilling but, the results of finding a sweet spot are.

Again,
nice singin' and tune.

Theron

theron said:
Was it recorded live

No, not live. Separate best takes. I pointed the condensor near the 12th fret of the guitar. But I was a distance away, and I didn't do extensive eq work on it. I suppose I'll try some other mic positions and maybe a second mic for ambiance. I suppose I could try a direct line out of my fishman as well.

If you've a second mic to work with, try it at the bridge facing the soundhole. Keep it just close enough to not interfere with your strumming. I tend to bend the angle of that mic position to accomidate my physical playing which equals a bigger angle and go for the right sound from there.

Hope you're not rolling your eyes at me as, you probably know this shit already. I don't mean to step on well informed toes, just giving the basics of what I know. I used to never bother with two mics on the acoustic but, it makes a huge difference.

Peace and humility,

Theron.

you got some good separation between the vocals and guitar. Much nicer. The voice could come up a little for me and about 1/2 the verb on it. a slight touch of the lower mids back in the guitar, the bass and treble end seems fine. I think your almost on "your" sound though. Nice lyrics :)

are you in Auburn, Al.? I`m in Enterprise, my stepson starts to school at Auburn Univ. this summer.

Toki987 said:
are you in Auburn, Al.? I`m in Enterprise, my stepson starts to school at Auburn Univ. this summer.

Yeah, I'm getting my masters there now. Enterprise eh? Small world. Appreciate the advice Tok.

auburncatfish said:
Empty bar with the chairs up. One person in the audience.

i think you got that with this mix. that's exactly the image that came across to me.

i like this song. the acoustic needs a little work though. it's a little muddy. maybe that's just the guitar? wait a second...you're not the guy who tunes every string to the same note are you?

reverb was maybe just a tad too much. maybe back off a little on that?

ok, now i remember you. i liked your last song and i like this one too. gotta do something about the guitar recording imo though. not sure what but something? sorry i can't offer any really helpful feedback. i like your voice.

i like this. i agree you should play around with reverb settings. and if you could get a more stereo guitar sound, that'd be sweet. nice song.

Back