A short song as a tester

Spazhands

'ere mate
I am fairly new to this and have recorded a track for you guys to cast your ears over. Keep in mind I am not a guitarist but a drummer, so that will explain the poor guitar! I am using a Korg 168c soundlink digital desk running via 8 channel ADAT into an Emu 1212m and Ableton 8, then mixed in FL Studio. The kit has a mic for kick, snare, floor tom, one for both rack toms and two overheads. The guitar was through a line-6 pod and the bass is the guitar clean, then pitched down ;). Please let me know what you think as I aim to record our band very soon!! Ben
http://www.soundclick.com/bedroommassacre

Last edited:
Howdy spaz...uh, sorry...ben :).

My thoughts on this for what they're worth.

Guitar sounded pretty good, especially for a non-guitarist. Guess it isn't too hard for a drummer to pick up :).

The drums...cymbals sounded pretty cool, but the drums themselves seem muffled and dull to me. The snare in particular is lacking in the snap/crack sort of sound. I know there are tons of different snare sounds and I myself have never tracked or mixed real drums, but that is what I'm hearing as a listener anyway. The drums seem like they need to brighter and clearer especially in relation to that guitar sound.

The bass is pretty non-existent for me. I tried for years to use a guitar-as-bass with varying levels of failure. Just a cheap $100-$200 used bass recorded DI will work a gazillion times better than a guitar for this imo. I can't recommend it enough.

Fun little tune. Maybe others will tell you differently on the drums...

I agree with the Heat man about the drums. Good drumming, though. :cool:

Thanks for the replys guys. Looking back over the kit I notice the snare mic is pointing more at the rim than the skin, this may be why I had to cut the high end out a bit as I was just getting a 'ring' from the drum. Also may need a look at my monitoring setup as from here the bass drum is really punchy and prominent.. which I love! Also the bass sounds really quite good on its own so maybe needs to go higher in the mix, saying that though will be recording the bassist in the band so will have an actual bass!! Cheers for your thoughts!

Back