A Rough Mix of a Song

Fangar

Hey Guys,

Thought that I would post a really rough mix of a song that I am working on to see how you like the arrangement. I don't have any Studio monitors yet, so I didn't even try to work with the mix. Ok Another disclaimer: The solo track is just a rough sketch. Thanks for you time and feedback. I am happy with the arrangement I think. ...

http://www.nowhereradio.com/fangar/singles

Fangar

I think the arrangement works. You're going to be adding more solo work over the stuff past 2min though, right? Without something else there it doesn't really grab me.

Nice work. The backing tracks are pretty clean. The solo sound has some grit to it, though, that makes it sound a little less clear. I know it isn't finished, just mentioning it so that it might not happen again when you track the real thing.

Good stuff. :)

Chris

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Chris. You are right, as it is just a sketch of a song for now. I think the guitar tone was farkled (Technical term) during the MP3 encoding (As usual for me). It sounds decent from the .wav file. As for the solo guitar past 2:00 min, I will. Haven't had too much time lately for the fun stuff with work and all. I appreciate youy acceptance and feedback of the song even though it is far from complete. Thanks again. P.S. I like a lot of the stuff you do. Good Job. I will post the finsished version in about 17 years =) and also some of my vocal stuff. Will be sure to drop you a heads up.

Fangar

Fangar's got some chops. Nice job. The only major change that I would make is the acoustic and/or clean electric rhythm track. Over dubb that track a few times with both electric and acoustic guitar, eq'ing each track a little differentlly each time and then play with some panning of those tracks. This should help fatten up the overall backing track and keeping it a little more interesting.

Thanks,

I am planning on fattening them up a bit. The Lead was just a sort of sratch effort, mostly impovised. I will take some time to write the parts out in more detail before I re-record them. I agree some acoustic backing would sound smooth. I will take the advice when I get the chance. Thanks again.

Fangar

Please enable streaming, I wanna tune in!

I don't like downloading, since obviously I already own a copy of everybodies songs on a different server... I just hate having to clean up all them mp3's on my laptop!

W.

Sorry Guys,

That damn server has a life of its own. It was all set up for all to listen or download, then somehow it changed itself. Lemme set it up again. Thanks for the interest. By the time you get this it should work.

Fangar

Nice chops, Fangar... and nice tone on the guitar!

The tone was somewhere between Satriani and Skunk Baxter's tone from Reelin' In The Years.... sweet! ;)

The mix sounded pretty good to me. The only changes I might try is to bring down the drums ever so slightly and put a bit more punch in the bass track.

Other than that, it's a great listen.
I wish 'I' could play guitar that good!
Nice work!

Buck

BTW, as an example of what I was saying about a punchier bass, check out the song in this thread....
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=40324

Last edited:
Thanks Buck,

I appreciate it. Thanks for the listen. Also thanks for the link to the song. That is a GREAT bass tone. I am still new to recording Bass. I have an Ibanez SR (Mahagony body with a Bubinga neck...It is a great bass) with active pickups, but I don't have a good DI box so I have been going through the POD which is not great for bass. I would love to achive that tone. When i repost the song, I will hope to work that out too. Thanks.

Fangar

Back