A recording technique question of sorts..

Fenderville

I have a Yamaha MG12/4FX mixer.

When I am recording vocals it would be nice to hear a little reverb or echo in the headphones/control room without recording them..

I have a basic setup..

I have the group 1 and 2 going out the the computer to record and the control outs to studio monitors.

I have a basic stereo in and stereo out sound card.

Is there a way to only hear the effects in the phones/monitors but not send out to record?

I know I am prolly leaving out some info so let me know if you need more..

Thanks all..

What DAW are you using?

You can set up the reverb send as normal, record, then change it or remove it later. The reverb doesn't get recorded with the vocal, it is applied in real time by the software, and it's always adjustable after the fact.

I mean as far as the mixer goes.. I have a mic, bass, guitar and keys going through an EXTERNAL mixer.. Then out to Cool Edit on the computer..

I must wanted to hear some verb or echo in the headphones (connected to mixer) but not actually record the verb or echo.

The effects are sent and returned via the Aux 1 on the external mixer using an outboard effects processor.

Gives the singer a bit more mood to the song... but I want to record dry.

If you have a spare channel, you can set up a mult by sending the vocal out the aux send (pre-fader) into the line in of another channel, and adding the reverb to that new channel's aux. Make sure you do NOT have the group switch on for that new channel, but you DO have the ST switch on.

Back