A recording for a friend--and my first acoustic/singer attempt...

photoresistor

Hey guys,

Here's a song of my friend's I recorded last weekend:

ultimately, the songs he writes are for a full band but for now he's just playin.

I thought I'd put this song for some feedback... as stated in the title, this is my first try at recording solely acoustic guitar and a singer (all the other stuff ive done is full rock type band stuff).

Time was short for the recording "session" because my friend was leaving (and is down there now) for cali. I threw up my microtech umt70s for the guitar and vox (tracked separately). This just went into my panasonic da-7 mixer and into sonar5 (no boutique preamps yet im afraid).

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with the results for what they are, but I'm having a hard time trying to get everything to sit right and sound full. Also I can't seem to figure out reverb for the vocals (whether they should have any, how much, finding a good reverb sound....).

PS: i could not for the life of me find my pop filter when i recorded this so there are some "breath booms" in the recording... im in the process of attempting to edit them out but its a pain in the butt heh.

any thoughts or suggestions??

thanks guys,

-dan

Hey dan,

Very cool sounding song. Great guitar work, did you record the vocals and the guitar at the same time? Cool "telephone" outro, I liked it.

Your voice sounds very good in your lower and upper ranges, but you go slightly off-key in your middle registrars. A little practice would fix that right up! You have good diaphragm backup, and your timbre is fine. Keep it up!

Hey, thanks for the feedback I appreciate it! But just a little clarification, im not the guy that played the song (wish i could play guitar as good as he does). I just recorded it and mixed it. oh, and we recorded the vox and guitar in separate takes though he does pretty good doing both at once (first time we've done any recording so we decided to try multitracking it).

Thanks again,

-dan

the guitars sound very flat. How did you mic the guitar. You might consider using at minimum two to three mics to get a fuller sound

Back