A really weird problem....

Nilbog

hello
Hopefully someone can enlighten me as to what might be going on.

We are using an echo mona audio interface and nuendo software for recording our band. Mostly right now we are recording our practices and such.

In one song I hit on the bass a high F and A together like this:

G----14-
D----15-
A--------
E--------

The strangest thing happens when I hit that chord. The whole system freezes up and we get a loud F tone in the monitors until we reboot the computer.

I have no idea what could be happening. I'm playing the bass fairly loud - is there any way the vibrations could be messing with the electronics??

F is 164.8Hz and A is 220Hz do these correspond somehow with some resonance within a computer? What's the deal?

We have tested it and it IS always on that chord. We even recorded for about half an hour today, then as soon as I hit that chords all hell broke loose.
It doesn't even seem to do it if I hit the notes individually.

What gives?

Anyone ever seen this before?

Try turning off the bass amp and direct injecting the bass signal.

It sounds like a resonance problem with some part of your signal chain.

When playing 164.8Hz and 220Hz together you may also be generating the sum freq (384.8 Hz) and the difference frequency (55.2 Hz). Not to mention the sum/difference of all the harmonics involved, but let's not cloud the issue too much.

In any event, if the problem goes away when using direct injection, you'll need to look at isolation for your bass amp, try putting it in another room etc.

Good idea.....we had considered putting the computer in another room but it seemed like too much trouble. We hadn't considered just moving the bass amp :D

By the way, we're playing a show this saturday night at 11pm at the Scera center in Orem - you should come check it out.

Congrats on the gig. What sort of music do you play? Does your band have anything on Nowhere?

Great stuff Nilbog. Love the guitar work, great recordings too.

Got any CD's for sale?

Nilbog said:

In one song I hit on the bass a high F and A together like this:

G----14-
D----15-
A--------
E--------

F is 164.8Hz and A is 220Hz do these correspond somehow with some resonance within a computer? What's the deal?

You have discovered the Brown note :eek:

thanks!

thats a negative on the cds. We only have 5 songs recorded (4 of which are on the webshite).

We are trying to get something together - but probably not by saturday. :)

Brown note.....I didn't know what you were talking about until I googled it.

for everyone else:
I guess the brown note is the note played by a black hole. It is a B flat and it is 57 octaves below middle C.

Also, the note which produces the shuman resonance is nicknamed "the brown note" because everyone who hears it craps their pants!

Back