A really soft piano & guitar demo

Dolphin_Babe

So I listened to a bunch of the music on this board tonight & you guys really impress me. It all sounds so professional and good ;) So I know my demo here is not quite up to standards here and uses stuff like "fake trumpets" and isn't quite together, but I'd like to redo this., So that'd be cool if you'd just look at the potential on this one and tell me any opinions about the song. You're going to have to turn the volume way up too :)

Thank you, I co-wrote this song three years ago with a guy who's on this board. He seems to be a prety regular, you can take a guess if you want who it is. That'll be funny when he hears this and realizes it's his song too :eek:

Thank you :)
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=2927691&q=hi

Guitars sound over-compressed to me. At the end of the song, you hear the compressor 'let go' along with that subsequent increase in hiss. I like to use compression on acoustics, but only judicious amounts.

You could try panning the gtrs in a bit closer together - it's a bit disorientating on headphones, being as they're dry (no reverb). Or, keep them panned as is and add a splash of med decay Room verb on them so as they sit more comfortably and compliment the (tonally soft) vocal. Right now gtrs are 'stronger' than the vocal.

I actually didn't realise there was a bass until the second play through - sorry about that! You may want to entice it out of the mix with some careful EQ.

On the other hand, I could be talking baloney.

Hang on....you said guitar and PIANO. Am I listening to the right song??

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... yeah I think this song has potential for a rerecord ;) Some good feels/Sounds in there.

Since you're rerecording this, my recommendation would be to focus on the piano & play this thing straight through as a really cool piano piece. Then maybe add some more consistant bass throughout & an acoustic or electric here and there to compliment that main piano part. Just an idea to try... since that'd clean things up a bit if you had like a focused "middle" melody holding things together. Although, I may be wrong, your style here of having a lot of different sounds taking over the melody could sound real cool too if you pull it off.

I'm guessing Dogman has something to do with this, I hear hardcore scary Dogman vocals stamped all over this (kidding dogman :D )

Good luck with the rerecord ;)

Thank you guys!!!

I realize since 3 years ago my recording style was ghetto as it gets and I merely meant on inquring on "songwriting" I probably shouldn't have posted this in the 'recording" forum. My bad, but I didn't even realize there was a songwriting forum!! I'm new here

Thank you though Robin W, I'll take all that into consideration when recording the real song. I can record real piano now, have decent microphone, better guitar, and have a real mulitracking recording software thing now. The "piano" you hear is MIDI piano not even played on a midi keyboard, but the computer keyboard. Ghetto as it gets :eek:

Thank you too Snakedog5O5O When I play this song live with just me and the piano every part IS piano and people tell me they enjoy it. I'll listen to you and try using that as the basis for the song and see if that works out.

Later, see ya' in the songwriting forum :p :) :) :) :) :)

Back