A real Website...

e unum pluribus

Does anyone know about this? i ve looked into some of the stuff but i want a site that i can completely design, is this incrediblely hard? what books should i get, websites to visit for ideas... you know the standard stuff...

What i would really like is to put my songs (all of them) on there with like a MP3 Standalone thing for streaming but also let people download, then maybe have the CD booklet in a downloadable formatt... and there displayed so that they can look at it as the song plays or something...

any help would be greatly appreciated...

hey dude. Okay first up, you need a host. I'd recommend registering for your own bandwidth too if you're serious about this. Most free-hosting sites (like geocities) only allocate a certian amount of bandwidth (for simplicities sake, we'll call this 'information') and downloading an mp3 file would pretty cause your site to crash for an hour (theyre strict about exceeding the data limit). If you purchase a domain (www.mymusicmixesforexample.com) or whatever, depending on the server, you can get more bandwidth, have more mp3s, more photos, moving text, and generally a bigger and better site.

So thats registering, it can be pretty cheap and I know there are some free hosts that actually let you do quite a bit. As for making the site, you'll need software; Dreamweaver is powerful, but Microsoft Frontpgae might be bundled with your computer and is easier to use. The benefits of this software is that you can design a site graphically; you can upload images, type text, use wordart etc etc. The alternative to this is called html; its programming using text and is very very difficult, wouldn't recommend it unless you took some kind of course.

Complex as this all might seem, I have made a few basic sites in my time; as I said, pictures are fine, information is fine, its just when you make the move to uploading audio files that things get more tricky and start to use more information. Honestly, I wouldn't try and stream the files in real time; unless the connection is broadband speed, say at least 24.0 Mbps, or the streaming rate is high, they won't do you justice in terms of sound quality. Having people download your demos is alot easier, and saves space and cuts down on loading times.

If this all seems a bit too much, there are many sites that let you create a profile and upload tracks....though you lose the creative input, and the mixes dont sound as good due to poor streaming...all food for thought.

www.myspace.com
www.purevolume.com
www.bebo.com

thanks bro... this is a bit to take in but this response has helped tremendous... this is really all preliminary until i get settled in to a nice internet connection... SOON I HOPE! but alas other things come before internet... Like Mics...
for now i will gather some software and start the design that way i dont have to pay for the time im begining...
Thanks again brosif!

if ya want me to throw something together just to swhwow you what can be done quickly and for free, id be happy to do it.

Back