A REAL STUDIO? What is that?

Dom Franco

Just what constitutes a real "Professional" studio is up for debate.

I have recorded in some of the finest world class studios and also in converted garages. The one thing that can make it or break it is the Engineer. In my oppinion a good engineer can get a great recording almost anywhere, but he would not have attempted to track your song while another band was rehearsing.

That's not "professional" real studio or not !

DOM:D

OOP's

This comment was in response to ARMISTICE'S Thread, and I started a new thread by mistake.... sorry

Dom:eek:

what constitutes a real professional studio..

alot less than you might think. straight out. if you get paid for your services...I.E. you record someone and they pay you. CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE A PROFESSIONAL STUDIO!.... same idea applies to amateur golf, amateur musicians and so forth....they are amateurs cause they arent getting a paycheck. you go to work? your a professional. even if it is a hamburger flipper...your a professional hamburger flipper. ok anyway when its broken down its core components..thats it.

I think a definite distinction can be made between:

A) A recording space that is set up and run by an engineer/producer for his purposes -- recording people how he likes to. Everything is all laid out and makes sense to him, and he can get you great recordings, but his place is his and isn't open to outside engineers.

B) A recording studio that is set up in such a way as to be easily used by outside engineers who rent the space out for blocks of time. The idea is to have everything laid out logically so that any competent engineer can come in and quickly figure out how everything is routed without a lot of fuss.

The difference mainly being who is using it.

I'll go with what Chessrock and Dom said but take it a step further.
A pro studio is where you would not have to make excuses for a neighbor with a leaf blower. I get paid and do good work, but I can't say that.
I'd have to say a band playing in the background pretty much steps in it as far as 'Pro' is concerned. (IMHO)
Wayne

Back