a real computer for music?...

Future Recording Gear?

I saw one xlr input? Maybe the top one was a 1/4" phono?
Looks good for a live mix recorder?
Removing the pc,software...hardware,I/O...Who knows?
Welcome to the future !
I have requested info on this baby.

All may not be as it seems.
The XLR is actually a neutrik universal patch thru to the back of the computer.
The inputs and outputs depend on what configuration and soundcard you want to use. So essentially its just a computer - but its also far more than that.
Wait for the further info - a lot more goodies to come ;-)

Robin
http://www.pc-music.com

Honestly.... I'm one of the designers, not to mention tech support director and product tester and more...
Just trying to gauge a little response - see what questions people ask and hopefully answer them. There is a load more going on than meets the eye and info on all that will be available soon.
Didnt mean to fool anyone ;-)
Its been a fascinating project and im really pleased with the result and i m looking forward to them flying out the door.

Cheers
Robin

Southpaw Curve

well...don't keep us in suspense!

What is this thing going to do? What will it replace?
Is the handle in front a removable hard drive?
Tell me more, tell me more...

All will become clear soon as the web site is properly launched but jsut to give you a taster here, in a nutshell, is what its all about:

Its a PC, and so capable of running whatever you want.
Its almost completely silent (honest!)
Rugged aluminium and steel construction
Remote access dial in support
Free access to a vast library of online samples
We are launching with 16 prespeced systems ie:
Cubase plus simple ASIO card
PowerSampler plus VST plus Reaktor
GigaStudio
Pro Tools LE /NT
SW1000XG/VST
Logic plus MOTU
That sort of thing all designed for particular users in mind.
Each system will come with a fully integrated users guide with tutorials and help on using everything together. This is updated off the web.
We will do custom systems but obviously we cant write a manual for them overnight, so you might lose that bit if you insist on doing it your way.
Loads of other stuff
Support is our focus - getting people to make music as simply as possible ;-)

That'll do for now i think
Robin
http://www.carillondirect.com

Gidman said that we should chek it out and se what we think, and honestly, all *I* see is a load meaningless buzzwords.

Is the concept interesting? Ehm, what *is* the concept in the first place? It's a PC? Not much of a concept. :) If you want response maybe tell us something useful.
OK, I have ONE opinion: It's butt ugly! :)

Buzzwords, buzzwords, all night long!
Buzzwords, buzzwords, hear my song!
Buzzwords, buzzwords, lick my dong!
Buzzwords, buzzwords, buzzwoooords!
:)

erm..... okay.....
The concept is very simple:
Provide a computer music solution that directly tackles all the usual problems associated with making music on PC's:

Compatibility - we'll launch with 16 pretested systems with combinations of soft/hardware that we know work well. If we havent tested it we wont sell it. We'll do custom ones too, fully tested - they just take longer.

Setting it up - its all preconfigured and tested for your to be a working music system out of the box

Getting it to work - Complete manuals are included on how to use the software (eg Cubase) with the hardware (eg SW1000XG) including tutorials on how to do everything.

What if it goes wrong - we will have an extensive database of FAQ's and further tutorials available online, plus you'll be contacted once we've tested out latest updates etc.

Remote Access - failing that we'll dial into your machine and sort it out remotely.

Computer noise - the thing is silent, 9dB quieter than a Mac G4

Samples online - launching with a library of 5000 free samples of various genres available via special preinstalled software over the internet. The library is expanding all the time.

Rack case - its a custom built steel and aluminium 3u rack case, fully insulated and even has acoustically treated feet if you use it on a desktop

Extras - Optional transport controls or 8 knob midi controller built in - more to come. Neutric dual Patch socket through to the rear of the case which can be wired as you like or not at all.

Yep, its a PC but thats inconsequential really. Its the support package, the ease of use, the samples, the nice little extras, the rugged construction is what makes it interesting.

If you're a hardened PC music maker then maybe the support and tutorials dont interest you - fair enough. But perhaps consider it as the ultimate sound source - we do a soft synth station running Gigasampler/Reaktor/B4/Tassman/Vaz etc etc through 16 channels of TDIF courtesy of the Mixtreme, all running simultaneously. We'll tell you how to use it, support it if it goes wrong and you can just screw it into your rack and wire it into your studio.

Price wise, we'll be maybe 5-10 percent more than any other "built for music" audio systems. A rack case alone will cost you 250 ukpounds.

The full website goes online in December and we'll have finished the 32 page brochure - perhaps you'll find the info you need when that happens.

Robin
ps (phew!)

I think this a good idea. Might spur interest in real standalones that price out more competitively resulting in better prices/performance of subsequent models.
I hear that flat screen technology will eventually overtake the tube stuff in market share but it ain't happened yet.

i think regebro has a humorous way of putting it,
but still.
you're aming at me, the not so smart (or just plain dumb ;-) customer who wants to record with a pc but isn't really into matching pc and other hardware.

BUT honestly do you think I understand what you're sayin'?
are you being vague just to create interrest?
be specific man what would it cost and to what is it comparable? SPECIFIC Please!
you don't have to exlpain all 14 different systems start by 1!!!!

greetz guhlenn

Well, another PC package is just another PC package its all the rest of the stuff that makes it interesting. We are still a month from launch and so a lot of details on the actual packages have to be finalised, also they'll change with time as different things and new cool stuff arrives.

Okay, as an example, an entry level package would be:
Carillon AC-1 (thats the case plus support package as above)
Cubase VST 5
Maya ASIO 2 20bit audio card, stereo i/o, mic input with phantom power (for use with the patch socket) optical output.
Midi interface
P3/800 on Intel 815e
128MB 133mhz
20GB 7200 drive
CD/Floppy etc
56k modem
15" Monitor, keyboard and mouse - all in black
Win98se
MP3 and internet software suite
Price - around 1400 ukpounds inc VAT @17.5%
In the UK its a very competive price when compared to any other "pc for music" companies such as Red Submarine or Millenium and ours offers much more than just the PC.

This discussion is interesting and i have no intention of being vague - i thought i'd described everything in detail. AS i say the PC spec will change with technology so its the least important part, except to say that we've had over 10 years experience in building music computer systems so we'd like to think we know what we're doing.

I'll post again when the web sites up and running - hopefully it'll answer your questions better than i seem to be doing ;-)

All the best
Robin

Remote Access - failing that we'll dial into your machine and sort it out remotely.

This is a neato functionality that nobody else has, which opens a niche for you. I guess it costs a lot, but hey, it's unique!

I for one have been waiting the arrival of Carrillon. It will be interesting to see how the constituents stand up to the likes of Red Sub and Millennium. All I want from a DAW is to take it out the box and plug it in, and it works !!! Hopefully the company has taken information from this forum, as well as others, in regards to parts and compatability, the jury is out.....as the is tongue.....

Im vaugely interested in the specs on the Mixtreme Machine.. and what software you're running with it.

Also, are any of your 16 packages shipped with more than one software type?

And whats a pound compared to a dollar?

Oh, and when we talk details... we want DETAILS...:)
like...
What BRAND of Hard drive and CD-r?

and stuff.

xoxo

ps... not to start shit... but 10 years of experience means little in the building-a-computer world. Hell, Microsoft's been makeing OS's for longer than that, and look at our confidence in them..!;)

Thermal Cooled Systems.

Come check out our systems. They are not only optimized and tweaked out for multi-track audio recording and editing but we have taken some great steps toward keeping your CPU cool. We want to make sure that you system can record, edit, and play for 12, 14, or even 24 hours but not just on actually using the system. Also the cooler the CPU stays the faster it runs. We have also gone to great lengths to create the best possible airflow through the case so a constant flow of cool air circulates through our systems. These are great machines and we offer both Intel and AMD systems.

If you’re looking for a top-notch system give us a call.

Xavier Corrimer

The Studiobox
http://www.thestudiobox.com

uh, I guess this thread just got totally SUCK. Why dont you all turn into PROFESSIONALS and buy some ads in a magazine or something?

xoxo

ps..
We've been designing top-notch studio PCs since your mama was a child... give us a call http://www.soupoftheday.org . Reasonable prices, and an advanced timestamp function for automatic copyright protection... built in to all systems!

OK elite music computer builders, why don't you do this.

Build dirt cheap computers based on Duron instead of PIII.
Duron rocks in floating point- say 750 MHz.
Unlock them so they can be overclocked - most Durons easily overclock to 1GHz. Heres a computer that can be built for
$600 U.S. bucks (no monitor - I'll get to that)

Put IEEE 1394 Firewire in it. Those digital video card are dirt cheap, $70 with 3 Firewire I/O. - Firewire has 400 Mbit per second transfer rate - that is 173 channels of 24/96 digital audio -(ok that is ideal, but you get what I am driving at) - multiplex these audio channels on the firewire bus. Firewire was built for real-time data transfer in mind.

Now I can buy 3 of these systems, run Samplitude, GigaSampler Reaktor or whatever on each of these systems.
I now have tons of CPU power.

Here's the tough part (I think, maybe its not so tough).
Somebody has to write a VST Plug in to transfer the digital
audio out from samplitude over the firewire on one system, back into firewire that exists on another system.
Why? because I have a mixing computer that is a little more specialized. It runs a 1.4 GHz (overclocked Athlon) RAID Array for fast data transfers and recording. Even this isn't that expensive - Abit motherboards have a built in raid controller - I can put dual 45 Gig IBM 7200 RPM drives in it. Such a beast can be built for $2 kilobucks.

Finally I need a 'silent' recorder/controller - doesn't have to be too powerful as it only sends control signals over ethernet to control samplitude/reaktor/cubase/ etc. That is, the GUI resides on this computer, but the processing is done on the other work horses. Unix/Linux has been doing this for years - its called X-windows. It sits in the recording studio with my guitars/mikes/keyboards. It has a Layla, or Aark24 or whatever that allows me to record analog. It has one of those dual monitor out GForce or Matrox card that allows me to run two monitors.

This is all built really cheaply with mass produced components. It is 100% digital except for the analog I/O. The really expensive parts are the monitors and the Aark24.

Anytime I need more CPU jam, I just buy another Duron number cruncher with a smaller 15 Gig hard drive, install Giga sampler on it and voila - new versatile synth sampler processing module.

Why don't you do it?

Cor blimey, one step at a time mate. We've already done systems like a 20 PC optical network for seperate routing to and from a mic booth and direct control from a single PC (this was a University setup so that the lecturer could dial into anyones# else system and look at what they are doing as well as letting 20 students record a single vocalist simultaneously) so all these weird kind of things are completely possible and we wouldnt dismiss them out of hand. The main thing is that very few people actually want this kind of system and it would take a lot of people power and resources to create and test such a system. At this time its hard enough getting a reliably simple win98 system which really rocks and fulfills the studio requirements of the punter.

Personally ive no idea what i would do with 173 channels of audio. Im happy to a couple of dosen on a single ide drive running soft synths and gigasampler at the same time - works for me. That doesnt mean that I wouldnt be interested in setting up something special for someone - no problem and we already deal with firewire and removable drives etc etc.

You have to think a bit more mass market though. Carillon systems are not designed exclusively for serious studios, they are for everyone interested in making music on a computer and their price point lets them compete with high street computer shops.

Duron - okay, fast and stuff, but we stick with Intel purely because all the manufactures test out their stuff on Intel first and sometimes exclusively. We cant have all this bios patching with Via chipsets etc to get it to work - its not worth the risk. And overclocking - selling a system which is setup outside the manufacturers specifications isnt such a hot idea - obviously overclocking is cool and everything but i cant sell or advertise a system as such even if it can be done. You have to build in some kind of safety guidelines for all this. If you want to push a PC to the edge then do it but we have to have a margin of error in there - this is a business my friend.

Thats my thoughts anyway
Robin Vincent
Technical Director
Carillon Audio Systems

This is why

First off the reason no one over clocks turnkey system is because you would void out your warranty by over clocking components. And not every CPU runs at the same voltage so if you get one that runs a little hotter you could be asking for trouble.

Now about Fire wire. Great idea but its not up to speed yet. See fire wire drives are 400 megabits per second, which is approximately 50 megabytes a second. (8 bit = 1 byte) An ATA66 7200rpm drive would be a better choice because you can connect it directly to the mother board where as the fire wire has to go through the PCI bus and its just as fast if not a little faster.

Now to figure out how fast of a hard drive you need here's a little chart Courtesy of Cakewalk.

5 Megs = 1 minute of 16 bit 44.1kHz

7.6 Megs = 1 minute of 24 bit 48 kHz

Now this means that if you arm 50 tracks to record at 16 bits 44.1 kHz and you record a 4-minute song you will have used 1000 Megs or 1 gig of hard drive space. Which comes down 4.166 Megs a second.

The real fact is that any of the different hard drives i.e. SCSI, ATA, Fire wire etc. will be able to achieve this test. Although when you start loading songs, affecting audio with effects, mixing down tracks, and MP3 or Real Audio conversion, this is where you'll notice the speed difference between hard drives.

As for the noise issue, you can get a mouse monitor keyboard extension box that allows you to put the system in another room or closet. Or you can get one of the new ISO racks that are being made by just about all the rack mount companies these days.

I hope this info benefits everyone in making an educated choice in purchasing the right components or system to fit your wants and needs.

Xavier Corrmier
TheStudiobox.com

Back