A re-mix of my 1.5 hour challenge. I could really use some feedback.

Jim Soloway

I've just spent the last hour or so trying to get a better eq/mix on the vocals. I like the performance, but it sounded pretty dull on my challenge version. I'm trying to get a lot more sparkle without sacraficing the natural ambiance. Unfortunately, I've now heard it enough times that I have no idea what I have, so some input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
cool i dont think i heard the first version.....

man jazzy chords nice...i wish i had the patience required to be able to play like that...man thats nice...about 14 diff chords...heck i dont even KNOW this many chords total..lol.....vocals sound a bit too outfront.... if thats what your goin for ...perfect....!.bass might be a tad too loud too..but im a guitar guy so i like to hear that front and center....(preference)....nice job on the vocals you can sing and it shows...not my style so much but credit where credit is do...my freind you can sing!..

jamal

perhaps some verb on vox, put it more in the mix? dont ask me how though, because i have no idea. ha.

other then that, its awesome.

i like it a lot... as i mentioned about the other version... but i can't really remember enough about the first mix to tell any difference between the two.... except that i notice the low end of your guitar (or is it an actual bass in there?) is coming through very heavily... made my subwoofer fart a couple times,granted a lot of things make my subwoofer fart (it's an old outdated piece of shit) but with this kind of song, i wouldn't think it would have that effect on anyone's speaker... frankly... i might even suggest that with this song, you might wanna go for more of a high mids kind of thing... the song is very very classic (it makes me think of the movie "the green mile" every time i hear it, and that's my all-time favorite movie) and it occurs to me that you might want to give it a classic kind of a feel... make it sound like it was recorded in the 40's or something... i mean, don't go all the way with it, but, you know... just a touch.... back way off on the lows and a little off on the highs... and concentrate more on high mids...

now me, i'm a rock/punk/alternative/metal kind of guy... and this really isn't the sort of thing i would normally get into... but i really do like this song a lot... definately one of my top five i've heard since i've been on this board... and coming from a punker nearing thirty... the song is beautiful and the first time i heard it, it made me feel like it was an old familar song that i'd been hearing all my life. if you wouldn't mind, maybe i could run it through my EQ just to let you see sort of what i mean about the EQ.... i promise it's nothing that would take away from the song.

Great changes!!!

I love it.

I would say maybe just a little verb on the vocal would frost the cake very nicely

Nice job

Is there even a bass in this? I was thinking it's all guitar.. Nice guitar too. You might try a reverb over the whole mix. nothing big and nothing dark. Just a nice nuetral reverb. If not on the whole mix I would for sure try it on the vocals. I also might bring the vocals back just a little. To me this is a song where they need to be pretty out front but maybe not quite as much.

Good and clean! Not my style but I like it. I'm trying to remember who it reminds me of. It's a dark haired guy with a mustache.
Anyway. Good stuff.

F.S.

And yet another Oregonian:D Howdy neighbor!

Thanks for the input. That helps quite a bit.

Just to clear things up, what you're hearing is a solo 7 string guitar with the low string tuned to an A. It was recorded live with no overdubs. I've been playing this way for a long time and even when I was still playing 6 string, people would often mistake my solo playing for a guitar and bass.

that's only the second time out of hundreds of comments I've been right. The rest of the time I'm dead wrong:D and I never would have guessed that you where using a seven string.

That's a cool technique Jim!

F.S.

Back