A question about setting up my recording gear

Luca Brasi

Hello all,

I have a question concerning setting up my recording gear. I'm new to home recording and am using Kristal Audio Engine on my computer. I have been running my guitar through a Digitech GNX3 and straight into my computer to record the rhythm, bass, and lead parts. I like this setup much better than running the GNX3 into my amp and micing it; the GNX3 gives me a much cleaner sound that suits my needs just fine.

I also have a 12 channel mixer (4 stereo) that I'm currently using just for vocals and acoustic guitar. So...what I'm doing now is laying down the GNX3 tracks directly into KAE and then adding any vocal or acoustic tracks that I need using the mixer directly into KAE.

I am wondering the best way to set all this up as I complete construction on my recording desk/table this week. I could use some advice on this from those who have the experience that I don't. I'm wondering...:

A) is it best to run my all my guitars into the mixer, using aux in and out to the GNX3 to get the sound I want, and then sending that into KAE? Or

B) should I run my guitars into the mixer (for EQ and gain) and then into the GNX3 and then directly into KAE? Will there be a stereo vs. mono problem here? The GNX3 only has a mono input for guitar but it does have a stereo CD input that I suppose could be utilized although I haven't tried that yet. Or

C) should I keep doing what I've been doing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can send this newbie's way.

Steve

Back