A question about live concert recordings....

memo

So, we all know that in a professional studio you have a big mixer, racks of effects, mics etc. and the most important of all, lot's of high quality great sounding mic preamps.

What about Live Concert Recordings? Take a band like Tower of Power, horn section, drums, percussion, keyboard, vocal, guitar, bass. It easily adds up to 30-40 microphones. Will you carry all the mic preamps for so many mics or will you just use the mixers pre's? Or are those mobile recording trucks made for this purpose? Because to me it doesn't seem logical for a band to carry 20 dual channel preamps on the road along with all the other stuff they have to haul. But those great sounding live concert recordings don't sound as if they were made using the mixer pre's.

Can anyone clear me up on this?

i've seen some live processing gear that is rack based but is controlled by software so i'm sure that the burden is lighter these days as far setting levels and remembering them.
infact this setup had an input from a barometer of all things that would hang from the cieling of the arena or building and send humidity and temperature levels to the software which would then adjust the eq and other gear to accomidate for the body heat of the crowd!

deel

Back