A question about electro-acoustic guitars (acoustics with pickups or mics inside them

memo

Hello,

I've been playing guitar for around 4 years now and I want to get an electro-acoustic guitar now. (I don't know if it's the right word, but I want an acoustic guitar a pickup or mic inside it)

I have a pretty decent 2-3 year old Martin acoustic which is in mint condition, and I also have $200 which I have collected. I want to trade my acoustic+money and get an electro-acoustic guitar. Do any of you have any suggestions about brands or models I should look into?

The only thing I want from the electro-acoustic I want to get (apart from the good/decent sound) is a thin and rather small body. The Martin I have has a huge "ass" (as I call it), that when I play it my arm barely makes it to the strings because of the huge body of the guitar (and no, I'm not a small person). I've played some Yamaha electro-acoustics, both nylon and steel stringed ones (I prefer steel) and they felt quite comfortable. Also, I've heard great things about Takamine guitars, but I don't know if they are in my budget (I'd say I have a max budget of $400 including my old acoustic)

So, anyone?

Thanks!

???????

There's something I don't understand... If you have a Martin guitar in mint condition, then that alone has got to be worth more than $400. Which Martin do you have?

For $200 you can have a pickup installed in the Martin (the kind that goes under the bridge). Martin even sells them (they're made by Fishman). This electronic will be similar to what you'll get in the Yamaha or Takamine, and you'll have a better guitar.

The thin body acoustic-electrics don't produce the same resonance, so it will always sound relatively weak when you're NOT plugged in. Unless you expect to play out a lot, it really doesn't make much sense. So get used to the wide body!

Having said all that, I tried several acoustic-electrics in that price range, and there are Takamines in that range that sound pretty good plugged in (although quite weak not plugged in). They're a little better than the Yamahas. Also Seagull has electronics built into some of their guitars in that price range. The Seagulls totally blow away the comparably priced Takamines or Yamahas, but they have normal bodies.

Well, I live in Turkey, so I might have screwed up with the prices a bit. The used market for guitars isn't great anyway. I don't care about the acoustic presence of the guitar in an unplugged situation since I'll mostly be doing scratch recordings and gigs with it.

Thanks for the help

I agree with Slim
When I worked in music stores I installed those thinline Martin pickups.Its a 20 minute job max.The "ass" is so big because the dreadnaught shape and X-brace pattern help give Martins their distinctive dark tone.Please tell us the model number and how old,how much you payed ,if you don't mind?
Tom

Martin

What I would suggest is buying a Woody guitar pickup by Seymer Duncan. This type of pickup fits in the soundhole of the guitar under the strings. You get single coil and stacked humbucker versions. I suggest this because you don't need to do any alterations to your guitar and you get a good amplified acoustic sound.

Thank you camn.

C7sus: What does this "Countryman" condensor mic look like"? Is it a little flat thing that gets pressed up against the back of the guitar? Don't you bang into it?

BTW, my "thinline" pickup isn't a piezo; it's a ribbon condensor, which I think solves some of the problems that people sometime report with the piezo (which still seems like the best technology in his pricerange).

c7sus,

WOW> I can't believe someone mentioned Tony Rice on this site. How refreshing!!!!!!! A North Carolina born hillbilly picker like me never expected to read his name here. WOW.

geezus, dude. Tony rice is, like, the most famous guitarist there is.

ANYWAY, my favorite acoustic amplifcation solution.....

a) avoid at all costs magnetic pickups of the sound hole variety. you suck if you buy one, might as well get an electric. (but if you do, DR makes these 'zebra' strings that are half wound with nickel.. totally bomber.)

b) get a piezo or a transducer and mount it up in there. ALSO get a small, high quality mic of your choice and mount it in there. run them to a stereo jack, then to an EXTERNAL pre-amp with a blender. Thus, if you are in a controlled environment, you can have the pristine quality that only a microphone delivers... if feedback is an issue, you can slowly blend towadrs your transducer, compromising quality for practicallity. Price range... $400 ish.

xxoxoox

memo...
I have the perfect guitar for you. It fits the criteria of what you are looking for, and is one incredible guitar.

The Godin Acousticaster.

I've owned one for 3 years, and this guitar is the sweetest sounding, best playing, nicest looking acoustic-electric you will ever get your hands on. It has an L.R. Baggs transducer, and the craftsmanship is impeccable.
I could go on and on about how great this guitar is, but you'd have to check one out and judge for yourself. The Acousticaster is the perfect guitar for studio or stage.
Believe me, once you pick this guitar up and start playing it, you won't be able to put it down.
It sounds and plays best with .009 electric-guitar strings.
Here's a link, if you want to take a look....

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinacousticasterspecsp.htm

....Buck

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be going out tomorrow to see on my own and hopefully I'll decide.

So Buck, do you have any recordings you've done with the Godin?

y'know, I love godin guitars, and I love that one, buck, but it sounds like an imitation of an acoustic. It sounds like an electric thru an acousticator pedal. it sounds like a synth on acoustic guitar mode. it sounds like a peice of toast painted with laquer.

xoxo

"if you want easy playing and crappy tone, buy a strat" -j.hendrix

camn, yeah I know Tony Rice is one of the best, but I"m so used to seeing posts about getting better distortion, death metal and Kurt Cocaine, it's hard to see people's influences here.

memo...
You can hear the Acousticaster on a song from our first CD.
Here's the link....

http://go.to/MacBrothers

....click on the green LifeSaver to get to the songs, and listen to song #9, called "The Guitar Song".
The lead is done on the Acousticaster.

$$$$$$$$$$$?

Buck, what does the Acousticaster cost?

BTW, several of us old-fashioned users of axes made of wood with holes in them have infiltrated this site.

My wife bought my Acousticaster for me a few years ago, so I'm not exactly sure... but I think they go for around $750 w/hard case.
I also own a 23 year old Yamaha dreadnaught acoustic.
Old Yamaha's rule! ;)

Keep the Martin. Add a $60 thin line(Martin 332), and a $125 pre amp (LR Baggs, Fishman,)
I play live every day, but I want a great sounding Guitar at all Times. Keep the Martin.
I was refreshed last week about John Hyatt. This site has some educated crowed

Back