A qeustion of mp3.com

Cakey2

Hallo all,

I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but I can't help but notice that most of the people linking to mp3.com URLs have a small amount of playback earnings - I havn't had any, and I was just wondering if you would mind telling me approximately how many downloads you are getting for that kind of payback. Really so I just know I'm not being swindled!!!

You can check us out at http://www.mp3.com/carolynn

Of course, any suggestions/criticisms/ideas are appreciated but bear in mind that
a) We've split up now (boo-hoo)
b) The entire thing was recorded in a coupla days in a room somewhere and the best mic we had was a £90 Peavey (yuk).

Anyway, many thanks for any assistance you can offer.

<Oops, put backslashes in instead of forward slashes>

[This message has been edited by Cakey2 (edited 05-24-2000).]

downloaded the one offered download "Amber Static"...sure took a long time to get to the more dramatic part....might have been more effective to have had a shorter soft/sweet part before the electrics, and then go back to the soft sweet at the end to tie everything together....I lo-fi'd Sirius and I think I like the drums, but what can I say, it was lo-fi....both songs seemed to be held back somehow and I don't know if that is the mix, which sounded clean on the one I could hear best, or if y'all were just bored....gibs

To answer your question about playback, it seems you need about 25-35 plays on a given day to start making a little change. I think it depends on how many total plays there were that day on MP3.com. I don't have anything on there right now, but probably will be doing something soon. But just from looking at the stats, the payback was increased about 4 fold for May, it seems you need about 30 plays to start making anything. I'm sure someone else will probably be able to give you more details....peace....Ray J...You should get a few plays by posting here, by the way, what did you record on? I listened to a couple, some of it was pretty cool.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

Gibs,

The arrangement you suggested pretty much describes the song called augustine! Quiet then loud then quiet again!

But, yes, we like the build-up thing. Do you know Mogwai?

As for lo-fi, not only is the mp3 lo-fi, so is the recording.

As for sounding 'held-back' this could be something to do with the mix or overall tonality, but probably you can hear the fact that we couldn't turn the guitar amps up very fay - we recorded them in my college room.

Ray,
Thanks for the figures - I think we're getting about 10 a day, so some way to go yet!

The recording was mostly done on my pc set-up - running Cakewalk 6 with midiman 2044 and turtle beach tropez ie six simultaneous channels. The mics that we used for the drums were cheapo ones that we borrowed from the university radio station! Amps were mic'ed with the £90 mic. I have a Behringer eurorack MX 2642A. Another important fact is that (at that stage) I had no external effects or compression.

Thanks again!

Matt

Matt(Cakey2),

I believe there has to be at least 15 unique listens/downloads.

The important part here is the word "UNIQUE".

MP3.com tracks that through, I dunno, IP's?

Anyway, if you look at *my* payback for playback link: http://mp3.com/smartapple you'll notice that the paybacks don't seem to fully correlate with the listens. That's because most of those "listens" are *me*. Pah! And MP3.com knows it. Seriously though, they have to be 15 unique listens (from different listeners)... I think.

I usually get good payback after doing a new song and telling all my friends about it.

Good luck.

Back