A (possibly) stoopid question re SM57 vs. B1

porphyrous

Hello all,

I currently have a Shure SM57 I'm using for vocals. Not having heard all that many microphones (my only previous experience being a CAD 22 and a Zeron, and the Shure is clearly superior to both). I'm still wondering about the Studio Projects B1. I'm a baritone, and a somewhat strident and sandy one at that, if that makes any difference.

I don't have a B1 around to try. If I were to compare vocals recorded with the B1 vs the SM57, all other things being equal, what kinds of differences should I be able to hear? What kinds of differences would indicate which mic is likely to satisfy me over the long haul?

---
David Vesel -- electro recording artist
The current single is "Numb" from the album Calliope
On Ampcast / Situation Records
http://www.ampcast.com/davidvesel
davidvesel@pobox.com

Hi from KC, Ive got both a 57 and a C1, for vocals the C1 beats it hands down, but I would keep the 57 for its verstility. you will benifit from both. I use my 57 in my isolation cabnet for exellent guitars.

The SM57 will be more sensitive as to what kind of mic pre you're using.
So...
What kind of mic pre are you using?

On a "low end" pre it will generally be easier to get a quality sound out
of a good condenser like a C1 or B1, than a good dynamic like a '57.

Regarding the "strident" and "sandy" comments, are you warming up
your voice properly and doing any vocal exercises to help counteract that?

Chris

the sm57 is a great mic with a great mic preamp. if you can't afford a really good preamp $$, then go with a large condensor such as the studio projects c1 or the mxl v67.

Chessparov,

Yes, I do about 15-30 minutes of warmup before I start doing vocal takes, and I had a short period of voice lessons about 10 years ago. It's just the features of my voice, I think.

Re: mic preamp,

I'm in the market for one. I'm presently using the built-in pres in my Samson PL1602 mixer, but they're pretty weak. I'm looking at picking up a used Joe Meek VC3*, my budget is only about $100 or a tad more.

---
David Vesel -- electro recording artist
The current single is "Numb" from the album Calliope
On Ampcast / Situation Records
http://www.ampcast.com/davidvesel
davidvesel@pobox.com

Especially with lower-end preamps, the B1 will be a better vocal mic than the 57 for most applications. I seem to prefer the 57 for loud screaming and such, the B1 for singing.

Compared to the 57, the B1 has much more high end, less of a "presence" (4k or so) peak, and deeper bass response. The B1 often requires EQ cutting of the lows (a low-cut on the pre would help this), especially if you sing near the capsule.

One cool thing about the B1 is that is has an internal shock mount, so you can get away without an external shock mount for many things, and save some cash.

Being a condenser, it is also far more sensitive than a dynamic like the 57-- you'll get breath sounds, far more room sound, clothes rustling, etc. -- condensers require more care in setting up the recording environment. If your room sounds bad, you might be better off with the 57.

Both mics are good.

In the $100 and under range, you may want to check out either
the Audio Buddy from M-Audio, and/or a (used) Event EMP-1.
If there's anyway, however, you can put together $180 you
can make a big jump in quality by getting the Studio Projects
VTB-1. They had a deal at www.bpmmusic.com on free 2 Day
Air shipping on it. You should hear a big difference in sound
quality on your SM57 if you get one.

In fact, if my budget was approximately $200 like yours,
($80 for B1 + $120 or less for mic pre), my plan would be to get
the VTB-1 now. Then my next step after that would be to get
the B1 eventually when the budget allowed for it.
The Joe Meek VC3's generally sell for $140+ on ebay or more
when you add in shipping BTW.
(Although I like these boxes too)

Best of luck on your selection(s),

Chris

Back