A pair of Crown's CE1000 vs a single CE4000

Shakuan

Ok here's the deal. Let's say I wanna power a 300Wrms 8ohms bass guitar speaker and a pair of 150Wrms 16ohms guitar speakers in parellel (so 300Wrms@8ohms if I'm not mistaken).

That's 2 channels at 300Wrms 8ohms each.

Now they say it's best to have a power amp that gives you double the Wrms of the speakers. So I would need a stereo power amp that gives me 600Wrms per channel, right?...

And that's exactly what the Crown CE 4000 does.
http://www.djdeals.com/crownCE4000.htm

The Crown CE 4000 is priced at 1075$ and the CE 1000 is at 395$.

Link for the CE 1000: http://www.djdeals.com/crownCE1000.htm

The CE 1000 can operate in bridge mono and give me 900W @ 8-ohm.

So if I buy a pair of CE1000 and wire them both in bridged mono, I get 2 channels of 900W@8ohms for 2*395$. That's almost 300$ less than the CE4000 that's good for 2 channels of 600W@8ohms only.

If everything above is alright,
now here's my question:

Is there a "con" I fail to see or is getting a pair of CE1000 instead of a single CE4000 really a good idea? (rackspace isnt an issue in my case). Do I really get more power for less money or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

The CE4000 uses a different (more expensive) technology. If you notice the CE4000 and CE1000 weigh almost exactly the same, yet the 4000 puts out much more power.

Personally I don't think you need quite that much headroom. Unless you are in a big ass room you are never gonna get close to driving those cabs to their limit or run out of headroom on an amp that puts out even 3-400 watts/channel, especially on guitar cabs. 900 watts for headroom on two guitar cabs is way overkill. A few years ago I would have said save yourself a few hundred bucks and get something smaller, if you were dead set on getting two amps. But good power amps are so cheap now, saving any real money means getting a real piece of shit.
I would suggest trying one amp, and seeing if that fills your needs, before buying two. I'm betting one CE1000 would probably take care of you.

Last edited:
All of my stuff is overpowered by 3 times at least. One reason I like it that wy is that with a larger (i.e. more powerful) amp, you get the same volume at a lower setting on the amp which means you will hear less amp noise. I personally consider the Crown CE series amps as a more low end offering due to their speed and noise. This being the case, the more power you have in the CE amp, the less noise, and the less chance of clipping it. The less chance you have of clipping it, the less chance you will have of blowing speakers.

Also, that looks like a 4 ohm load in total to me, but only 8 ohms per side.

Back