a note on tuning

dr.colossus

Last nite my bass player and i spent a little time tuning my toms to notes in the key of the song we were playing, it was only about a tone away from being in key already. The drums sat very well in the mix. I would always tune my kit to itself with good results, but it definatly pays to tune your drums so that the notes of the toms are in the key of the song you are recording, even if it means moving a tone up or down from the "natural" note of your drum. btw tuning with a mallet makes it easier to hear the note.

Its funny, I've heard this advice before but never really took it to heart. Its obviously something you cant do live, it is a time consuming process, but one that is well and truly worthwhile.

Tenor Drums

How many toms and what sizes?
I think of my kit (7piece) as like Tenor Drums.
I have a set of Quints that are dying to go along with the toms. :)

thankfully i only have two toms... a 13 and a 16.

like i said most drums should already be within a tone of something in common keys. for instance if a song is in c and you have a tom tuned to c# then tune it down to c or even d. I think it was ronan who made the comment about bozzio having a huge number of toms so he could always choose the right notes for each key.

Back