a noob question about the delta 1010Lt

JonLadell

I was thinking about getting the delta 1010LT, to record drums, and was thinking i needed a powered mixer for it to work. But the salesman at guitar center said i didnt need a mixer for to work. How exactly does that work?

I was thinking about getting the delta 1010LT, to record drums, and was thinking i needed a powered mixer for it to work. But the salesman at guitar center said i didnt need a mixer for to work. How exactly does that work?

Well, with the Delta 1010 your getting 8 channels of conversion only. In order to get from the mic to the interface (delta1010) your going to need a preamp for each simutanious mic you will be using.

You can use mic pres from a mixer but it does not need to be a powered mixer to do this!

Some mixers have direct outs for each channel which you can feed the interface. If direct outs are not an option then the channel insert can be used as an output. Quality and functions of mixers vari big time.

Another option is to use a stand alone 8 channel mic pre in a rack to feed the delta1010. They also make mic pre / interface combos like the presonus stuff.

A mixer can also be useful for other things beside recording your tracks. It can also be a useful tool in monitoring during tracking (recording) and mixing.

Well, with the Delta 1010 your getting 8 channels of conversion only. In order to get from the mic to the interface (delta1010) your going to need a preamp for each simutanious mic you will be using.

You can use mic pres from a mixer but it does not need to be a powered mixer to do this!

Some mixers have direct outs for each channel which you can feed the interface. If direct outs are not an option then the channel insert can be used as an output. Quality and functions of mixers vari big time.

Another option is to use a stand alone 8 channel mic pre in a rack to feed the delta1010. They also make mic pre / interface combos like the presonus stuff.

A mixer can also be useful for other things beside recording your tracks. It can also be a useful tool in monitoring during tracking (recording) and mixing.

Actually there are 2 pre amps on the 1010lt. You can configure them as standard line ins if you want though. You just need preamps for the 6 other
analog inputs if you want to record more than 2 mics at a time. You can run
line ins from keyboards and processors. The mic pres built into the 1010lt
do not have phantom power though, so if you plan on using condesor mics through them you'll need a phantom power supply.

If you need to 8 mics with phantom power most mixers can handle that.

Actually there are 2 pre amps on the 1010lt. You can configure them as standard line ins if you want though. You just need preamps for the 6 other
analog inputs if you want to record more than 2 mics at a time. You can run
line ins from keyboards and processors. The mic pres built into the 1010lt
do not have phantom power though, so if you plan on using condesor mics through them you'll need a phantom power supply.

If you need to 8 mics with phantom power most mixers can handle that.

My bad, I had the non LT version (the rack). Which brings up another good point. It looks like you have to use RCA connectors:eek: Unless you buy an xpensive sub cable.

I have 2 1010lt's in my current setup. I got the first one about 8 years ago. I got the second maybe 4 years ago. I tried the mic pres the day I got the first card, and I haven't used em since. Also, they don't have phantom power, so you wont be able to use condenser mics.

As far as the connections, right- they're rca. You can get a cheap 3' snake that has 1/4 unbalanced on one side and rca on the other side- you're gonna need cable anyway to connect to your preamps. There is no difference between 1/4 unbalanced and rca- its just a connector- its an unbalanced connection either way. The purpose of balanced connectors (i.e. 3 conductors) is noise cancellation. Being that I have a short run between the preamps and the 1010lt, this hasn't been a problem. So, for some people, rcas are a turn off but i think thats more a perception issue than an actually functionality issue, especially in this price range. For a more expensive unit, I'd expect balanced connections.

As for preamps, you're gonna need one for each mic you want to use. I have a Soundcraft M8 mixer which has 8 mic preamps with direct outs on each channel- that feeds one of the cards. I also have a PreSonus D8 that feeds the other card.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of budget mixers (i.e. under $1000) WONT have direct outs on each mic channel. Having direct outs is really contrary to the purpose of a mixer if you think about it- a mixer takes multiple sources and mixes them all together. You can use the insert channels on most mixers in kind of a "cheater" fashion by taking a 1/4 cable and inserting it only half a click in. On most mixers, that will get you an unbalanced signal just after the preamp and before the EQ and effects sends. While this is usable, it isn't exactly a solid connection and you lose the benifits of actually using the insert for its intended purpose and you also lose the option of using your eq if you so desired.

I would also say that the 1010lt converters aren't stellar. In fact, it'll be my next major purchase to replace these cards when I get more money and more need (my studio is all hobby, so it doesnt really generate any income).
So... for what you'll pay for a 1010lt (~$200) plus what you'll pay for an 8 channel preamp (~$400), you'd probably have an easier time getting one of the many 8 channel firewire or usb interfaces that combine the interface and soundcard functions into one. A Motu 8pre, Presonus FireStudio or one of the many other offerings out there...

Back